The goldfish died

happyhens

Songster
12 Years
Jan 30, 2007
KY
Well, the goldfish died, leaving me with an empty 10 gallon fish tank. I would just love to convert it into an incubator, anyway this would work? Has anyone tried it?

i think you could make it into a bator, Styrofoam and the other elements, just would expose to much glass that would mean heat loss.

it would probably lose ALOT of heat. They make good BROODERS though!
tongue.png
I have mine in a 20 gallon right now. Only downside is they are a HUGE pain to clean. So now I'm going to start using large plastic tubs. Much much easier.

I prefer not to put more fish in this tank. What if I put a layer of cardboard on the outside, and another layer on the inside (perhaps covered with aluminum foil to reflect the heat). I would have to leave a couple of windows to watch them hatch, of course! Would that work better? What all do I need to start this project? Is a heat lamp a good enough heat source for this?

i never made a incubator from a tank but i did from a fridge before. Not sure about the foil,you need to ask somebody else about that. but you also cut some styrofoam to size and put it on the outside to protect from temperature swings. What will you use as
heat source?

Quote:
Would a heat lamp work? Raise it higher if the bator is too hot, lower it if the bator is too cold... I know this isn't the best way to hatch eggs, but it would be very easy and cheap. I wouldn't attempt this with valuable/expensive eggs, these would be just mutt eggs from the various breeds in my flock. I am just itching to see some eggs hatch! LOL

Quote:
Would a heat lamp work? Raise it higher if the bator is too hot, lower it if the bator is too cold... I know this isn't the best way to hatch eggs, but it would be very easy and cheap. I wouldn't attempt this with valuable/expensive eggs, these would be just mutt eggs from the various breeds in my flock. I am just itching to see some eggs hatch! LOL

That's what I did! I was 12 and my hen didnt want to go broody, so I brought her eggs inside, put them in a tank with a light over the top. I turned them every morning, afternoon and evening and misted them every time I turned them. I had a 100% hatch too.

The 2nd time I tried it, the light was too hot and cooked the eggs all the way through. I suggest you test out your light temps, because I cant remember what wattage I used!

happyhens,

PM or e-mail me the tanks measurements (4 sides and bottom) and your address, I'll gladly donate enough Tekfoil to help you insulate the tank bator, if you'd like.

Dawn

Quote:
Thank you so much for the offer, Dawn! But I already have some left over insulation... why didn't I think of that!? Now I just need to ask my dad if I can use a little of it...
That is a great idea. I can't wait to try this!

Back
Top Bottom