The Grove - Small Town Chicken Life.

Just noticed the Mr. E is starting to get some curve to his tail feathers.
Here he is the week after I got him.
D3C3407E-9446-4C4F-8172-9CE51E8A912F.jpeg

And last night with his favorite lady.
FC8D53AF-CB89-4172-8C1C-6C1FAE420D31.jpeg

Monday is the day set for my outside birds to be tested for mycoplasma. After speaking to the livestock inspector, if they are positive, I will have to depopulate. I need the chicken gods to be kind to me. I don't want to lose Godfrey.

The swabbing for the test went well Monday. We thought we (the livestock inspector and I would have heard by today. So far the lab has not given us any results.

Last edited:
Mr. E, delightfully renamed Rooster Cogburn, is looking magnificent. I’m glad I didn’t give him his walking shoes early. He’s turned into a very nice roo that is respectful of me and good to his ladies. He has a home here as long as he remains that way!
59AA392E-A6A1-44D0-8AFB-711DD98DA180.jpeg
7D7D3428-81BC-499F-8024-4C4AEBDC60B2.jpeg

Goldie I think is getting close to laying. Her comb seems darker and I caught Cogburn successfully mounting her yesterday.
0546FFA8-B5AD-4655-AE9B-CEED1FCDC7A4.jpeg

DA6540C7-DAA2-4DD0-8891-6EC8D60E44A2.jpeg

Godfrey is still the best chicken alive. I’d post better pics, but she is where she always is when I’m in the run.
6541AA0E-B96A-4E35-80D8-7771F2B53E59.jpeg

Mr. E, delightfully renamed Rooster Cogburn, is looking magnificent. I’m glad I didn’t give him his walking shoes early. He’s turned into a very nice roo that is respectful of me and good to his ladies. He has a home here as long as he remains that way!
View attachment 2291903View attachment 2291904
Goldie I think is getting close to laying. Her comb seems darker and I caught Cogburn successfully mounting her yesterday.
View attachment 2291913
View attachment 2291922
Godfrey is still the best chicken alive. I’d post better pics, but she is where she always is when I’m in the run.
View attachment 2291930
I am so glad!
I‘m very curious...
Pics of the crosses?

I am so glad!
I‘m very curious...
Pics of the crosses?
The Barred Rock x Sicilian Buttercup crosses? The last healthy and most recent pics of them are here.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-grove-small-town-chicken-life.1383422/post-22740411
Unfortunately they were in the brooder with the chicks that tested positive for MS and had to be euthanized. My friend who gave me the chicks has several hens of the same cross and they turned out to look like black stars. She also hatched a leghorn cross cockerel that has a split comb. If she hatches out a few more and some pure Sicilians I would love to get more from her. The picture below is of them and a pure Scilian buttercup pullet that were hatched in the same batch as mine so it gives a pretty good idea of how the cross hen would have looked.
IMG_8592.jpg

The Barred Rock x Sicilian Buttercup crosses? The last healthy and most recent pics of them are here.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-grove-small-town-chicken-life.1383422/post-22740411
Unfortunately they were in the brooder with the chicks that tested positive for MS and had to be euthanized. My friend who gave me the chicks has several hens of the same cross and they turned out to look like black stars. She also hatched a leghorn cross cockerel that has a split comb. If she hatches out a few more and some pure Sicilians I would love to get more from her. The picture below is of them and a pure Scilian buttercup pullet that were hatched in the same batch as mine so it gives a pretty good idea of how the cross hen would have looked. View attachment 2293077
Aw, that’s so sad.
I thought they tested clear?

Back
Top Bottom