The Gun Thread

Pics
Glock is not on the top of my list of favorite guns but once you learn how to shoot a Glock, which is not like shooting any other pistol, you will have a higher appreciation of it.
Wait, what? Would you please elaborate on how it’s not like any other pistol?

There a huge difference in the thickness of the plastic I mean polymer in the grips between my Springfield xd and a glock. The xd is at least 3 times thicker. I don't know how much more ridged it is cause I can't touch a glock, if I do I break out in a rash
Wow, haven’t read much where folks are talking about Springfield. I had an xd 9 that I absolutely loved.

Decisions, Decisions (next to the bed) Not to mention what's in the safe or amongst other areas of the home

20231229_051742.jpg

Wait, what? Would you please elaborate on how it’s not like any other pistol?
It is the way the trigger works and finger placement on the trigger. Because of the short web-to-trigger relationship most people will push or pull the trigger to either the left or right as they fire. We are taught early on to put the pad of our finger on the trigger and pull straight back. This action causes too much leverage as the finger curls so shortening that relationship to the first joint will help the mechanics of pulling straight back and ensures that the gun is less likely to be pushed right or left.

The most enduring feature of the Glock is the very short web-to-barrel relationship. As you hold the gun notice how close the top of your hand is to the barrel, there is no other gun with as close of a relationship. The XD and MP are close but not quite as close. This gives the shooter better muzzle flip control as the gun has less leverage in the hand.

Don't get me wrong, the Glock and the other copycats will never be precise target guns but once you understand the principles of the mechanics the bullet placement will be greatly enhanced.

They are great 'Beaters' and can withstand a lot of abuse and will operate no matter how many dust bunnies or neglect they are given while they lay in wait for action.

Personally, I prefer the M&P because of the fit and feel of the grip.

The CZ is also misunderstood as well. When they first came out they had a small following that never really caught on. I actually built a target gun out of a 75 factory comp that was great for slow fire and for shooting pins.

It also has a very short web-to-barrel relationship but also has the benefit of a smaller and lighter slide than other guns. Notice that the slide fits inside of the frame rails. The slide does not wrap over and around the frame like other guns making the CZ slide lighter and reducing the weight of the slide which in turn reduces its leverage and reduces muzzle flip.

A lot has changed since I retired from the industry but the mechanics do not.

This is a cool thread and one that I can relate to. I used to be in the All Army Rifle and Pistol team for 6 of my 8 year army career....so I did alot of competitive shooting up to 1000 yards using iron sights. I've been President/VP of a gun range for 20 years, but am finally stepping down to allow new blood to take over. Anyways, I started collecting WWII rifles, pistols, machine guns, etc., then went on an HK binge for a while, but have gradually downsized my collection. I've built over 60 AK kits, 20 AR15 kits, but would like to try my hands with black powder rifles now.

It is the way the trigger works and finger placement on the trigger. Because of the short web-to-trigger relationship most people will push or pull the trigger to either the left or right as they fire. We are taught early on to put the pad of our finger on the trigger and pull straight back. This action causes too much leverage as the finger curls so shortening that relationship to the first joint will help the mechanics of pulling straight back and ensures that the gun is less likely to be pushed right or left.

The most enduring feature of the Glock is the very short web-to-barrel relationship. As you hold the gun notice how close the top of your hand is to the barrel, there is no other gun with as close of a relationship. The XD and MP are close but not quite as close. This gives the shooter better muzzle flip control as the gun has less leverage in the hand.

Don't get me wrong, the Glock and the other copycats will never be precise target guns but once you understand the principles of the mechanics the bullet placement will be greatly enhanced.

They are great 'Beaters' and can withstand a lot of abuse and will operate no matter how many dust bunnies or neglect they are given while they lay in wait for action.

Personally, I prefer the M&P because of the fit and feel of the grip.
That sounds more like a user error vs the firearm being the issue.

Had to slap my hands the other day, was looking around at guns and came across the smallest over and under I have ever seen, at only 23 inches overall length!

thought it might make a nice bear gun but I don't really need another bear defense gun. its called the SS 211 (for any Canadians here who might want or need one lol) tactical imports has em

Back
Top Bottom