The Guy said African Runner?? But I think he's severely misguided.

jenifry

Songster
7 Years
Jun 26, 2012
South Dakota

I picked up some free chickens, were supposed to get 6 hens, but I got 2 roos, 4 hens. Roos are crowing, Little gold hens are clucking like my full grown reds, but they are half the size. He said they are crosses "african runners"-with his RIR. I am guessing he bought Banty Old English Game and didn't wanna fess up to his wife.

He has a pretty white tuft of feathers at the base of his tail. The bigger one doesn't though, The bigger one has a red breast, this one a black one. These suckers can fly!! I couldn't get a pic of the big one cause he escaped before I could catch and clip his wings! He escaped the chain link, and was chased by the neighbor's dogs for a half hour before he flew in to the other chickens.

These girls have a black fanned tail. It is much longer in relation to their body than my other chickens. They are small, probably only a half pound, very light bodied.

She was my suprise, I thought she was a roo with no tail feathers, but her tail is intact, and no saddle feathers. I have never seen a hen with spurs, I am guessing she is an old RIR, but SPURS on a RIR hen?? Is she a wierd roo?

They are very flighty, I am glad I got pics of the small ones before I let them go in the yard. (Unlike the ones we raised who let you pick them up and pet them and eat out of the kid's hands) Any help on guessing age, and a definite on the breed would be appreciated. THANKS in advance!

this is my friend's roo and he is a golden laced wyndotte. He kind of looks like yours...

images

and that "hen" deffanatly is not a hen. Even though he looks like a hen, no hen would have spurs.... its very odd though! he looks like a hen but his face does look like a roo's because it is so red

and that "hen" deffanatly is not a hen. Even though he looks like a hen, no hen would have spurs.... its very odd though! he looks like a hen but his face does look like a roo's because it is so red
it is common for game hens to have spurs that bigger than a cocks and yes that is 3,000% hen

other breeds get spurs. there's someone on here with a polsih hen with some good spurs though it is more common in the game breeds but it can be seen on any breed. sumatra hens get spurs as do yokohama hens. cornish do have a strong game bird heritage. i love seeing hens with spurs. the ones my parents have, they have sharper spurs than the cocks do -__-

I knew that hens COULD have them. I didn't know they could be THAT big. Her spur on her right foot is longer than my pinky and curved and SHARP. The other one is dulled a little... maybe she rubs it when she walks or something. I think she's old, because of the size of the spurs, but she is nicely feathered. We'll see in a few days if I have any new colors in my eggs.
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom