The HEAT!

tx_dane_mom

Songster
12 Years
Sep 23, 2007
SE Texas
What can I do to help out my birds through the summer besides provide plenty of water and shade? I am not sure of the temp today, but my birds have already cut their eating and I am worried I am going to loose some this summer at this rate.
Kristi
Edited to say:We're thinking of maybe putting box fans in???

Last edited:
Fans will help

big plastic bottles with ice....

I have so far been letting my chickens out to free-range and they all end up under the fruit trees in the longer grass - nice and cool under there.

I use big box fans hanging from the rafters in the summer time heat here in WV......if we ever have heat
roll.png
...brrrrrr, it's been cold in these hills for weeks and rain!!...

I use fans as well and sometimes I will get block of ice from the store and put them in a kiddie pool in the run for them to get in a rest in as the ice melts, but not too much that they drown.

tx_dane_mom, I can totally sympathize with you! Wasn't that long ago we were wondering if it would ever get warm again huh?
I'm using a box fan to keep the chicks cool. Be forewarned, they will probably freak a little when you first turn it on. They get over it quickly. What would really help us and the chicks is if it would just stop raining on my SO's days off so we could get their coop finished! Been sunny since last Friday and he's worked. They are predicting rain for this Friday, Saturday & Sunday when he's off again!
barnie.gif

Sorry about hijacking your post for my rant. Making sure they have clean, cool water and the box fans seems like the way to go.

Hi, yes it's HOT & HUMID
sad.png
Not ready for it yet or my birdies.This is what I do... run soaker hoses in their shady spots,get the good & wet or use a sprinkler.I've also made some shallow wading pools,with 2x4's & bisqueen.I change the water out a couple of times a day,my chickens love that.
Cool watermelon is another hit around here.
In the coop I have 12 box fans on to ward of the dreaded mosquitoes while they are sleeping.
Good luck, I know yall have been warmer than we have up here.Stay cool
cool.png

Miriam

Mine were panting today. The chickies at 4 1/2 months stay in a shady corner, but the older girls hide under the rose bush where the AC drain goes. Cool and damp for them. I think, like me, they are feeling the heat worse because it got hot so fast. Last summer they got frequent watermelon, and plenty of cool water, and a damp spot to go to. UHG, 98 today, still 90 now at 8:30

So your birds actually get in ICE water? My husband picked up a few fans tonight, so they'll go out tomorrow to help. I have HAD a fan on my chicks in the brooder in the bard/building, so I know it helps a bit. I'd love to have auto-waters...wonder if I can try and convince my husband??
smile.png

I'm gonna add about a lesson I just learned tonight. Something spooked the chicks. Still not sure what it was. In this heat they piled up in a corner of their pen. When I went to check on them I found two very limp chicks at the bottom of the pile. I scooped em up, carried them outside and used my watering can to wet them down. Then I let the slight breeze cool them. One recovered quickly. One is still not quite recovered. I may lose them yet.
sad.png
From now until the time they move to the coop (hopefully by Sunday) I am restricting access to the part of the house where they are. The coop is located in the shade of our apple orchard and I'm sure will be much cooler.

Quote:
I just put the ice in the pool and let it melt I dont add water at first, when it melts it really is cold (obviously) but then as the day goes on it warms. and they seem to like it

Back
Top Bottom