The hidden nest with a rooster

BrandySC

Songster
May 22, 2020
I’ve seen several posts about finding hidden nests and the float test to see if eggs are still good to eat. My hidden nest question is: how far along are we in incubating? We found a nest this morning with 10 eggs and we have a rooster. Most everything we crack is fertilized. I’m less concerned with them being edible as I am cracking one open and finding a partially developed chick. I don’t mind tossing the eggs but if we’re growing a baby I would just as soon let it proceed and hatch than kill it. Is this where candling comes in? Or at just 10 days do I stick them in the fridge and not worry about what I’ll find?

Thank you.

My hidden nest question is: how far along are we in incubating? We found a nest this morning with 10 eggs and we have a rooster. Most everything we crack is fertilized.
Hi there and welcome to BYC! :frow

This is actually simple.. how many girls are laying in that hidden nest.. can tell you how many days old the nest is. 1 hen.. at least 10 days old.. if she's a daily layer.. Maybe 20 days old if it's every other day-ish. Either way.. still safe to eat.. only the air pocket in the fat end would be larger.. leaving a larger flat spot on boiled eggs.. Which by the way is the ONLY thing the float test does is check the air pocket size which MIGHT be indicative of age.. air pocket grows larger with age depending on humidity. The invisible bloom layer helps slow the exchange of gasses and also stop bacteria.. which candling could also help indicate.. as it will illuminate any cracks that could allow for bacterial infiltration.. In my fridge, unwashed eggs are at LEAST as good and fresh as store bought even when 6 months old! :eek: At room temperature.. quality diminishes more rapidly.. loosing moisture inside the egg.. they get thick and stuck the shell by about 3 month (in my current location) and only cracked ones had anything wrong.. oh yes they did.

Has anyone stayed over night on the nest? If not, then there should be ZERO embryo development. And all eggs would perfectly fine to eat... noting I would also ask your ambient day time temp in that location.

If you don't want to eat them.. then cook em and feed back to the birds or share with other animals you have a nutritious (lots of vitamins and minerals) and delicious snack.. it's 34% protein and 64% fat with half the protein being found inside the yolk.

If you do hatch chicks.. will you have a plan for the extra boys.. as it;s usually 50/50 gender wise. If so.. if and when you get to that point.. it should be a wonderful experience! :)

Which by the way is the ONLY thing the float test does is check the air pocket size which MIGHT be indicative of age
Thank You!

And all eggs would perfectly fine to eat... noting I would also ask your ambient day time temp in that location.
Yes, unless temps are high or they've been rained on.
When in doubt....
Open eggs one at a time in a separate dish before adding to pan or recipe,
use your eyes, nose, and common sense to decide if egg is OK to eat.

Thank You!

Yes, unless temps are high or they've been rained on.
When in doubt....
Open eggs one at a time in a separate dish before adding to pan or recipe,
use your eyes, nose, and common sense to decide if egg is OK to eat.

I’m not worried if they are ok to eat. I worry whether I’m stopping chick development.

Unless you had a broody it's unlikely anything could be developing. Even with a float test if I have questionable egg either they get it cooked or I open it before adding to a recipe. If it's bad opening it will let you know

Back
Top Bottom