The Honey Factory

View attachment 2367227

It's not finished but it's so exciting to see it coming together! :wee I got my screened bottom board and bolted on legs. It's a sturdy beast for sure! I hope the Squatch bees šŸ love it. Now if they will live through the winter I can split my Squatch hive in the spring! If not, I guess I know where I can buy more...
Nice Job! Do you have an insert/tray that slides in below the screened bottom?

I have one hive- the nice bees- nearly ready for winter. I opened the cover and removed feeders and put in moisture board.

Placed the winter cover on, scraped the dead bees out of the door and put the reducer in. One bee was alive that I scraped out. She flew for about a minute before crashing. She was slow and easy to avoid.

I need to wrap and put up windbreaks yet. I should get that Friday.

I need to make the nasty bees cover, yet.

I put the insulation box on top the mean hive. I even drilled holes in the top supers and duct tape shut the others.

I had to move a bunch bees from the hole to tape it. Some refused to move. One found herself duct taped for the winter.

This afternoon there were a few dozen flying around the hive. Some where still trying to get in the old hole thatā€™s taped shut. I did not see any use the top holes I drilled.

I donā€™t think they will make the winter, but they have no one to blame except themselves. I never got one drop of honey from them for rent.

Mine through a bunch of dead ones out the other day. I am guessing the drones are all gone.

I didnā€™t even wear a suit or wear gloves today. It was too chilly for them to chase me far when I did my stuff.
Mine haven't chased me at anytime. They are right in front of the coop. I walk within a foot of them multiple times daily.

So I have watched videos about small cells being more mite resistant . Also hygienic traits and ankle biters . Since I like the idea of natural methods I find it interesting . I see Mann lake sells small cell foundation . They say small cells are hard for mites to infest . Brood hatches a couple days earlier on small cell . Disrupts the mite gestation also .

Back
Top Bottom