The Honey Factory

Before the late 80s beekeepers would put a couple supers on in the spring and come back in the fall pull the supers leaving enough honey or syrup for the winter. They would repeat the same process the following year. Pretty simple. Some years they may have had some loses but nothing like today. That all changed in the late 80s when varroa and viruses severely impacted bee health. If mite counts are high at the end of June going into July they are already in trouble even if you treat them. I'm not saying they cant survive but viruses will effect the hive even after the mite population is knocked down. Some side effects in fall are supercedures, poor queens, late swarms, low stores from lack of foragers, sick brood, sick bees, poor brood patterns, unable to cluster or move to name a few. At that point no amount of heating, wrapping, insulating, indoor storing, vivaldi boards, quilt boxes, or feeding is going to save them. Sadly we still don't have vaccines for bees. What we can do is keep low mite counts with a treatment plan that's best for are area along with making and overwintering nucleus colonies. When inspecting a dead out and bees are seen dead in the cells butt out, those are heater bees, the furnace of the hive. They put their head in the cell and vibrate wing muscles keeping the surrounding brood, bees and queen warm between 90-95 F. Honey bees will die trying to keep the hive warm even as the rest of the colony is dying out.

When inspecting a dead out and bees are seen dead in the cells butt out, those are heater bees, the furnace of the hive. They put their head in the cell and vibrate wing muscles keeping the surrounding brood, bees and queen warm between 90-95 F. Honey bees will die trying to keep the hive warm even as the rest of the colony is dying out.
This part makes me think they simply froze to death. He had a LOT of those head in the cell and butt out bees in this hive which makes me think that it just got so cold that everyone just froze.

This part makes me think they simply froze to death. He had a LOT of those head in the cell and butt out bees in this hive which makes me think that it just got so cold that everyone just froze.
They stick heads in cells for to keep a dense ball. Where were stores vs all the bees with heads in cells?

Bees work up or down. If there's a few inches between cluster and food..... they will starve out.

There were more food below them than above them, they were at the top of the second super.

There was some food within an inch or two of them.

I had to scrape the bees off the frames to see those with their heads in the frames. The frames they were on were so full of bees I had to scape the bees off the top of the frame and use the hive tool to pry the frames up. Three frames came at once.

The frames were wet and sticky with honey ( not moisture). There were capped cells right with them. More photos.

A5C14E31-7C7F-4199-938A-B2E4A4DBB15D.png
09088F4C-160B-4E29-97A9-86F618B7E8FA.png
319F99F6-C4E9-4436-9672-9DC9F22DDDFC.png

Let me put it this way. Say you have a small isolated village of hunter gatherers and when some of the villagers went out to collect resources they came across a stranger and brought him back. They didn't know that the stranger had a virus and it quickly spread to everyone in the village, they didn't have immunity or a vaccine. The villagers became so ill that they couldn't collect resources to prepare for winter or care for their young. When winter came the villagers began to starve and freeze to death and couldn't remove the sick and deceased worsening the condition. The following spring it was discovered that all the villagers had perished. Did the villagers die out because they simply froze to death and starved or was it the effects of the virus?

Let me put it this way. Say you have a small isolated village of hunter gatherers and when some of the villagers went out to collect resources they came across a stranger and brought him back. They didn't know that the stranger had a virus and it quickly spread to everyone in the village, they didn't have immunity or a vaccine. The villagers became so ill that they couldn't collect resources to prepare for winter or care for their young. When winter came the villagers began to starve and freeze to death and couldn't remove the sick and deceased worsening the condition. The following spring it was discovered that all the villagers had perished. Did the villagers die out because they simply froze to death and starved or was it the effects of the virus?
Good point assuming there is a virus. It has already been stated many times that bees don't overwinter in that climate and that most are shipped south for the winter if the people wanted to keep them alive for next year. In fact, the original idea with these bees was to kill them in the fall and take the honey and not even try to keep them over the winter because it was unlikely that they would survive. He did try to keep them alive this winter, but with that huge cold snap they had, they just didn't make it which was somewhat expected.

It has already been stated many times that bees don't overwinter in that climate and that most are shipped south for the winter if the people wanted to keep them alive for next year.
I believe the members of the Minnesota Honey Producers Association since 1907 would respectfully disagree.:)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom