The Honey Factory

I believe the members of the Minnesota Honey Producers Association since 1907 would respectfully disagree.:)

I am not so sure, my mentor belongs to that. He actually killed his bees last fall. He said they survive once every 7 years and it was cheaper to buy the new bees. He got to have 50 pounds of honey, I got none.

My brother in law has 5 hives. He as had them for 7-9 years ( my guess). He makes it over winter with about half. This year he lost them all early. He thinks he had colony collapse disorder because he lost his hives in November.

He also has a lot of trouble with mites. However, he uses purely local over wintered nucs. He has a 85 year guy near him that has had bees forever. They never go south. He loses some but he makes nucs for a few people in the spring.

I am looking for over wintered local bees with no luck. My bees came from California through a local bee shop.

Read this; https://www.beepods.com/113957-2/

It says just what I thought about being too cold to break cluster.

I had Saskatraz bees which are suppose to be mite resistant. I did not have any mites when I checked using the sticky boards 3 times this summer. The bottom of my hives are screened during the summer.

Looking at the picture I posted you can see capped honey mixed in with the dead bees. I am going with the extended nature of the 20 below temps did them in.

I am thinking of a heater next year in each hive with a limiter thermostat, if the hive hits 70 degrees inside it shuts off. I know they keep it around 95. But I don’t want them to break cluster. And the thermostat will not be in the cluster.

My thoughts right now.

Edited to add: the stores were running low but they were not out yet. They only needed a few more weeks and I could have started feeding them.

Good point assuming there is a virus. It has already been stated many times that bees don't overwinter in that climate and that most are shipped south for the winter if the people wanted to keep them alive for next year. In fact, the original idea with these bees was to kill them in the fall and take the honey and not even try to keep them over the winter because it was unlikely that they would survive. He did try to keep them alive this winter, but with that huge cold snap they had, they just didn't make it which was somewhat expected.
Its a good assumption to make, its why so many are losing bees. I sent bee samples to a lab to have the viral load checked (BVS) in some of my hives. The hives that easily survived a -25F stretch of weather here are the nucs that have a very low viral load, which was expected.

Bees were flying around my Italian hive yesterday. There was no frenzy, so it wasn't a robbing situation. One girl landed on my finger while I was outside, pretty little bug, and then she flew off.
I think my Italian bees made it, I'll hopefully be able to open the hive in a couple days and slip in some brood patties.

Bees were flying around my Italian hive yesterday. There was no frenzy, so it wasn't a robbing situation. One girl landed on my finger while I was outside, pretty little bug, and then she flew off.
I think my Italian bees made it, I'll hopefully be able to open the hive in a couple days and slip in some brood patties.
You southies have it so easy!. If mine had made it another week or so, I could have fed them this coming week.

Like I said before you ALMOST made it. Again sorry it sucks you lost your hive. I just wonder about a few of the southerners who were almost in the clear and running out of stores where it was about to have blooms then record cold.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom