The Honey Factory

I checked my bees. But I was stoooopid.

I forgot the smoker at the house. But I reasoned I won’t need it, I am not pulling frames, I just want to look at the queen cage.

The bees did not seem to want me looking at the queen cage. It’s cold and drizzling here.

I opened the top. They were all nicely clustered neat where I had hung the queen cage. The cage did not nicely lift out.

I did not bring a hive tool either. So I reached in to spread the frames a tad and pull the cage out.

The bees objected to the spreading of the frames and began to attack the innocent beekeeper.

I pulled the cage and saw it was full of bees. So the queen is either dead or living in the hive.

Nothing to do but check in a week and see if I have brood.

Today I will get the swarm traps ready . Put a frame of drawn comb in each one from the dead out . I will not bait them with lure until about May 1 . Not planning to split my hive . If they swarm I will probably get them in a swarm trap . They will have to build comb so I want them strong .

I got this nifty thing to put my queen cage on the other day. I'll see later today when it warms up some if her majesty has been accepted and released.
1618320888259.png

https://www.lappesbeesupply.com/catalog/queen-cage-holder-for-introduction/

Mann Lake called and delayed shipment until April 19. They also switched from next day to ground but at least they are still coming via UPS. No further word from TSC. I can about guarantee that they did not ship on the 9th like they claimed.
I got an email mine would be delayed 2 wks but no exact date. I haven't called to check, just try to check e-mail every morning.

I've noticed on here (not this thread) people trying to get a petition against TSC for the dead chicks. When hearing about it, all I could think was if they show up late and half dead it's not TSC's fault.

We installed my bees Saturday evening and I just checked them.
They released the queen, they are making comb fast (on empty foundations) and I saw eggs.
Now as long as I didn't smash her (because I couldn't find her and it's cold/windy) things are going good. The queen release cage holder worked great for me too. I'll check in 1 week.
IMG_1432.JPG

I got an email mine would be delayed 2 wks but no exact date. I haven't called to check, just try to check e-mail every morning.

I've noticed on here (not this thread) people trying to get a petition against TSC for the dead chicks. When hearing about it, all I could think was if they show up late and half dead it's not TSC's fault.
What they are complaining about TSC and dead chicks is that TSC has changed to new brooders and people are seeing lots of dead chicks in their new brooders. It is likely a learning curve issue and definitely is TSC's fault.

Interesting you mention that, I saw 2 dead leghorn chicks in a TSC stacked brooder yesterday. I didn't think anything of it knowing that some chicks just don't thrive. But I was thinking they probably should take the weak chicks out sooner before sensitive types that know very little about agriculture and poultry see them. A lot of the chicks had pasty butt which is unfortunate. People unknowingly will bring them home only to have them die in a couple days.

Back
Top Bottom