The Honey Factory

Just got notified by UPS that a package from Mann lake will be delivered tomorrow afternoon. It was shipped from Salt Lake City today. It has to be a package of bees but whether it is one package or two is unknown.

Really bad timing. Prediction is for 1" to 6" of snow by Friday night with the high for tomorrow at 37°F. Not much better next week with highs of 42°F predicted.

Just got notified by UPS that a package from Mann lake will be delivered tomorrow afternoon. It was shipped from Salt Lake City today. It has to be a package of bees but whether it is one package or two is unknown.

Really bad timing. Prediction is for 1" to 6" of snow by Friday night with the high for tomorrow at 37°F. Not much better next week with highs of 42°F predicted.
Will you still spray with simple syrup to install at those temperatures? (or maybe you don't spray them anyway?)
What about feeding syrup? Honestly curious, always looking for bee opinions.

Will you still spray with simple syrup to install at those temperatures? (or maybe you don't spray them anyway?)
What about feeding syrup? Honestly curious, always looking for bee opinions.
The latest info that I have is to spray them with warm water when they first arrive. They no longer recommend spraying with sugar water.

I will provide them with 1:1 sugar syrup via a feeder as soon as they are hived.

Another email from UPS and they have now changed the delivery date to Friday. I am guessing that these bees were a truckload shipment that left California either last Friday or maybe as late as this past Monday. UPS picked them up in Salt Lake City, Utah tonight after their normal departure for shipments from Salt Lake and are sitting in the back of a truck until tomorrow afternoon before the truck heads east to Rock Springs and then on to Casper.

I expect these bees to be very stressed by the time I get them.

The latest info that I have is to spray them with warm water when they first arrive. They no longer recommend spraying with sugar water.

I will provide them with 1:1 sugar syrup via a feeder as soon as they are hived.

Another email from UPS and they have now changed the delivery date to Friday. I am guessing that these bees were a truckload shipment that left California either last Friday or maybe as late as this past Monday. UPS picked them up in Salt Lake City, Utah tonight after their normal departure for shipments from Salt Lake and are sitting in the back of a truck until tomorrow afternoon before the truck heads east to Rock Springs and then on to Casper.

I expect these bees to be very stressed by the time I get them.
Everything I have found advises spraying 1:1 sugar water.

It's up to the beekeeper, the idea is if you spray the bees with 1:1 syrup they get sticky and clumpy so they don't fly in a new beekeepers face when shaking them out of the package. In cold temps it really isn't necessary. I always feed bees 2:1 syrup, it takes them longer to process 1:1 into honey. But the bees don't care, 1:1 or 2:1 is good.

Back
Top Bottom