The Honey Factory

So here is a story from about 1971 . Bought a package and new hive . So only foundation in it . Installed bees . Next day they were in tree like a swarm . Put them back in with the queen excluder on the bottom until they got established .
You Should have blocked the entrance like reducer like my instructions said. :gig

It doesn't look very promising for the bees. They have now changed the delivery to Monday the 19th. I won't be surprised if the bees arrive dead.
I am guessing very dead...

I picked my bees up a day early and the feed was gone in 24 hours. Any delay and they would have all been dead.

Well there were no instruction that I recall .
This was the first time I recall reading anything about blocking the entrance.

There seems to be a lot of opinions on how to do things without a lot of facts behind them.

I think it’s trial and error until you find what works for you.

Speaking of trial and error. I had something try to get into my bees last night or this morning. I have a 2 deep supers set up.

The bottom has frames and left over stores in it. The top has sugar water and pollen in it. Between yesterday afternoon when I looked at them and about 10 minutes ago, something happened.

First thing I noticed was a bazillion bees flying around the hive. They sounded and looked urinated. Not happy bees. They started dive bombing me about 25 ft away.

Then I saw the top box was sitting kitty wampus. The front corner was pushed about 2 inches to the west. I could see the frames from 20 ft away. Which is as close as I dared to get.

So it’s suit up time and realign the boxes. I might just take the top box off. I have a couple front feeders I will use instead.

Most likely coon or possum, I think a bear would have pushed it all the way off.

I guess I need to get the electric fence on again..

Back
Top Bottom