The Honey Factory

I checked the nuc but did not find a queen . I think she is in there . Just hard to spot until she starts laying . Nuc is doing good . Now I have not been feeding . Not saying I am right just sharing . I prefer a natural approach . However I do treat for mites .

I checked the nuc but did not find a queen . I think she is in there . Just hard to spot until she starts laying . Nuc is doing good . Now I have not been feeding . Not saying I am right just sharing . I prefer a natural approach . However I do treat for mites .
I have all my bees line up and walk through single file in front of me. I then inspect them for mites and pick the mites off if they have any with a tweezer.

As long as you have tame bees this works fine.

Lots of bee activity on my 3 swarm traps today . The one receiving the most attention the bees are butt shaking when they land . The next trap only a little shaking . I did rebait yesterday . Any idea what it means ?

Lots of bee activity on my 3 swarm traps today . The one receiving the most attention the bees are butt shaking when they land . The next trap only a little shaking . I did rebait yesterday . Any idea what it means ?
There's a great book "Honeybee Democracy" by Thomas Seeley that explains a lot of the behaviors in bees. What the scout bee could be doing is trying to convince her hive mates that your swarm trap is the best place to go. Or if some of the comb you put in the trap has honey in it, its possible that your trap just became a food source and she is waggle dancing the food location. Its hard to believe but there is a complicated decision making process in everything that bees do as a colony. Hopefully the scout you saw will be able to convince her sisters into swarming into your trap. I hope you get one, swarms are fun comb building machines.

Back
Top Bottom