The Honey Factory

These things are interesting to watch, but I don't plan on doing it.
He says, "the plastic bottles are free". I don't know where he lives, but where I live (in reality) nothing is free.
Where I live the claim that wooden hives get mold in them would be an outright lie.

I was concerned about bee's willingness to do their work in a see through vessel in daylight but far along in the video you get to see that he insulates and covers them.

I question how well his method of hiding these "hives" in a forest works as my bees seem to require sunshine to get their butts out and working.

Near the end you can see that he is getting his bees from conventional Langstroth hives.

I don't know hold the video is but the claim that beekeepers are getting two dollars for 1 Kg of honey seems way off.

Where I live the claim that wooden hives get mold in them would be an outright lie.

I was concerned about bee's willingness to do their work in a see through vessel in daylight but far along in the video you get to see that he insulates and covers them.

I question how well his method of hiding these "hives" in a forest works as my bees seem to require sunshine to get their butts out and working.

Near the end you can see that he is getting his bees from conventional Langstroth hives.

I don't know hold the video is but the claim that beekeepers are getting two dollars for 1 Kg of honey seems way off.
There ya go again!

Being a naysayer to anything new and progressive.

1642695534270.gif

The biggest issue with this is its fixed comb beekeeping (like old time skeps). Most states in the US dont allow it because the combs can't be inspected for pests and diseases without destroying the colony. All he is doing is making jar comb honey using trashy plastic bottles. If he is so concerned about mold in a hive, there are plenty of polystyrene hive manufacturers. Jar comb honey was one of those things that was on my old beekeeping bucket list, but when I saw chunk honey sold in jars it looks the same without all the hassle of the bees making the comb in the jars. Maybe I'll still try it someday in a nuc. I don't care for the guy's beekeeping but I do like the wooden bridge he built.

http://wasba.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Glass-Jar-Beekeeping-Morris-Ostrofsky.pdf

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom