The Honey Factory

Recently the EPA went out of their way to deny Vermont's 2EE Exception for use of Oxalic Acid and glycerin on cellulose pads. I find the EPA's bureaucratic posturing disconcerting.

The EPA reasons that the wording of accepted products and their methods of application are sacrosanct. Quantities must never be exceeded. And you could hurt your bees. What the agency fails to recognize is there is no threat to the environment which is their sole purview. The Environmental Protection Agency intentionally oversteps its authority for the purpose of demanding more respect for its limited scope in governing power. Virtually becoming an Eric Cartman screaming "You will respect my Aw-thor-a-tie!"

For those that want to treat their bees from mites with affordable methods and dosages that kill mites I'm including one of the rules for exemption for obtaining an Experimental Use Permit.

173.2 (C)(3)
Animal treatment tests involving the use of a particular pesticide that are conducted only on experimental animals which will not be used for food or feed, unless an appropriate tolerance or an exemption from a tolerance has been established for animal products and byproducts under the FFDCA for residues of the pesticide.

New York has been denied also. 35 years of Varroa and what would have happened if I waited for permission from the EPA to care for my bees? I'd have a bunch of empty boxes with synthetic chemical residues in the combs. Government incompetence at its finest. HopGuard 3 is now a whopping $10 per hive body for a treatment that doesnt work. I have some hives that are 3 deeps, so $30 for a treatment that doesnt work! No thanks. EPA approved Api-Bioxal is .35 cents a gram and higher quality lab OA is a fraction of a penny per gram.

Last edited:
I've never liked the quick strips or newer formic pro. Kills far too much brood and you can loose queens because of it through supercedure. You can dilute formic acid to 50% and apply on a fume board or blotter paper for 24 hours to kill over 90% of the mites under cap.Rate of application is 90ml single brood box and 110ml for double. Several studies on short term formic vaping from 15 years ago prove it's a better way to go, not lose brood and save your queens. Mix HoneyBhealty or lemongrass oil in it to calm the bees.

The minimum sublimation for any kind of efficacy is 2g OA per 10 frame brood box. That's double what we are allowed to use. Some beeks use as much as 4 grams per box. That is enough to lose a few bees from acute overexposure but it certainly does not hurt the environment.

EPA approved organic acid products are ineffective and way overpriced. 350g of Bioxal equals .77 pounds and cost $46. Same product from Florida Laboratory through Amazon is $35 for 10lbs bag. The horrible formic pads that must be covered with foil to lessen brood and queen kill are are $3.50 per pad, $7 per treatment. You can make your own with meat pads and plastic bags or do the fume board 1 day exposure with formic acid diluted with water. 90% formic through ebay is $59 per gallon.

We are not scofflaws. We are intellectual livestock farmers. If ever questioned by your state invoke the exemption for experimental use permit 173.2 (C)(3).

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."
-Thomas Jefferson

We had 1 tree bloom about 6 weeks ago. I guess I should've posted then, but I wasn't posting anything then. We are getting a decent amount of dandelions for the last month and several other early flowers are blooming nicely now.
I planted about an acre of buckwheat a few weeks ago, just as much for soil amendment as honey. Then we got 2 more freezes one in the low 20's. I was just trying to get it done while I was home and HOPING we were past our last freeze. I will have to replant in another week or 2 if I can go home.

I've never liked the quick strips or newer formic pro.
When it first came out it was formic acid pads (Mite Away). I put the two little sticks included with the pad on top and shim following all instructions 100%. Correct temperatures as well. About 4 to 6 hours later it killed all the mites and the bees too. I'll never use a NOD product again.
The minimum sublimation for any kind of efficacy is 2g OA per 10 frame brood box.
The EPA used the 1 gram per brood box based on research that was done somewhere in Europe using nucs. Shocker.
EPA approved organic acid products are ineffective and way overpriced.
Hold on now. HopGuard 3 instructions say the efficacy depends on the number of mites present, time of year, and how many treatments. So, if you use one treatment when there is no mites and no brood its 100% effective. 🤣

I've never liked the quick strips or newer formic pro. Kills far too much brood and you can loose queens because of it through supercedure. You can dilute formic acid to 50% and apply on a fume board or blotter paper for 24 hours to kill over 90% of the mites under cap.Rate of application is 90ml single brood box and 110ml for double. Several studies on short term formic vaping from 15 years ago prove it's a better way to go, not lose brood and save your queens. Mix HoneyBhealty or lemongrass oil in it to calm the bees.

The minimum sublimation for any kind of efficacy is 2g OA per 10 frame brood box. That's double what we are allowed to use. Some beeks use as much as 4 grams per box. That is enough to lose a few bees from acute overexposure but it certainly does not hurt the environment.

EPA approved organic acid products are ineffective and way overpriced. 350g of Bioxal equals .77 pounds and cost $46. Same product from Florida Laboratory through Amazon is $35 for 10lbs bag. The horrible formic pads that must be covered with foil to lessen brood and queen kill are are $3.50 per pad, $7 per treatment. You can make your own with meat pads and plastic bags or do the fume board 1 day exposure with formic acid diluted with water. 90% formic through ebay is $59 per gallon.

We are not scofflaws. We are intellectual livestock farmers. If ever questioned by your state invoke the exemption for experimental use permit 173.2 (C)(3).

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."
-Thomas Jefferson
You could just use Amitraz and risk it all lol.

May I jump in here and ask a question?

Tomorrow, I'm going to go look at a hive set up for sale, no bees included. Hive, I think he said 4 supers(?), smoker, suit, honey extractor, and I can't remember anything else. $400 for all of it.

Assuming it's in decent shape, is this a good price? I'm thinking it is... but I don't know. I have never kept bees, but am really interested in doing so.

Any pointers on what to look for, or what would be a red flag, please let me know.

First question to ask is what happened to his bees? Typically it's a person who got into bees and after two winters of them not making it they give up. That's the stuff I look for. Odds are they died of mites and you've got good drawn comb. It's the old boxes that someone's grand dad used you have to worry about. American foul brood is serious and never dies until you burn all the equipment.

Be familiar with the diseases and pay close attention to the person's answer to questions about their bees. As for price, it's hard to say. Are all the frames drawn comb and only one or two years old? If so then go for it.

Back
Top Bottom