The horse chat!

I've never owned my own horse but I take care of a red Thoroughbred mare named Ginger at the barn I work and grew up riding at. She's a moody mare through and through but she's fun to ride and I helped with her training to become a lesson horse. I like to say I'd pick her again in a heartbeat, but I don't recommend Thoroughbreds lol! (just kidding -- mostly :p )

What kind of riding do you do?

I have 2 at the moment. My retired ex racer Harry who is 28 and I’ve got a pony China on loan from a friend. She is a little traditional coloured. Very steady and easy to ride. Harry was good when he was ridden just a little faster so it’s been a big difference for me! I also looked after Harrys field companion Bran for the last 8 years but we unfortunately lost him to colic at xmas just gone. Was devasting both for us (me and my friend his owner) and Harry was quite grief stricken. Thankfully he is managing without him and is happily living out feral with 3 sheep. Bran was a Welsh x Arab and was a fab boy and fun to ride in his younger years. I’ve also had a part loan of an Anglo Arab and was fun too. A good all rounder and I would love to find another like him but without his farrier issues. Also did a bit of showing with a friends pony while she was pregnant which was fun.

I'm a certified horse crazy person. As a kid, I was in 4-H and Pony Club--that's where I did most of my riding competitions. Focusing on the jumping and dressage disciplines.

As an adult, I was employed at a dressage farm. I quickly learned that I much prefer to be in control of my horses' training, feeding, turnout etc. than being at the mercy of an employer that just wants results.

I took a break from the "horse world" but never stopped owning and caring for horses.

Now I'm ready to try new things with horses like side saddle or doma vaquera.

I really enjoy all horse breeds but...

My favorite horse breed is the Friesian. Noble, majestic beauty. Fantastic temperaments and really bond with their person.

I'm partial to Andalusians/PREs and Gypsy Vanners too.

Back
Top Bottom