The house hen

Yesterday i also partially removed some of the infection on her foot (she also got some bumblefoot) but I did not remove all of it, i didn't want to hurt her, she didn't cry or anything, nor any blood was spilled only a lot o pus and hard matter were removed. Is there any broad-spectrum anti-biotic that would also help with her foot?

Yesterday i also partially removed some of the infection on her foot (she also got some bumblefoot) but I did not remove all of it, i didn't want to hurt her, she didn't cry or anything, nor any blood was spilled only a lot o pus and hard matter were removed. Is there any broad-spectrum anti-biotic that would also help with her foot?
You can buy some here: https://allbirdproducts.com/product...d for in Chickens?,easy to administer to them
But since you are in Romania, I am not sure they would ship there. Also your bird needs it now and due to covid, shipping times are really long.
I would call around and ask vets for an antibiotic. Most vets who are unfamiliar with birds, won't diagnose but may give antibiotics.

Her foot swelling went down a bit, the hole where i removed the hard matter has completely closed over (in just 3 days) and overall she walks a bit better, but the foot feels slightly warmer than the other, and there is some fluid accumulation (i think it is) on the back of the foot as well. She is breathing better, no more runny nose, but I can hear her having "a stuffed nose" but most of the time she breaths perfectly.
On the antibiotic availiable, i can find this baytril
ENROFLOXAROM 10% Solutie orala 100 ml, Substanţa activă: Enrofloxacin 10 g.
on the cheaper side there is also this product
Substanţe active: Ampicilină trihidrat 5 mg; Oxitetraciclină clorhidrat 5 mg
Ampicillin, that;s a broad spectrum antibiotic that we also get as people when we get sick, it is mild on the body but it does its job.

Hello. The infection in between the toes has gone, but the hen still has infection on her leg. she is on the 4th day of enrofloxacin. a small pouch of liquid pus formed on the top, and gets drained daily. I wonder, what's inside that leg? In between her finger, she had yellow hard lump of infection, once removed the foot healed.
YYxBimm.jpg

Hello. The infection in between the toes has gone, but the hen still has infection on her leg. she is on the 4th day of enrofloxacin. a small pouch of liquid pus formed on the top, and gets drained daily. I wonder, what's inside that leg? In between her finger, she had yellow hard lump of infection, once removed the foot healed.
YYxBimm.jpg
She has a serious infection. Is that swelling hot? I would take her to a vet.

I have brought the hen to vet, he gave her real baytril, injected in her chest for five days, after he weighed her. Probably the equivalent i bought, with doses written by the pharmacist were too low for her weight (she weighs 8.5 pounds). now she feels much better, her comb turned bright red, the leg still feel a tad bit warmer than the other. The vet said he cannot remove that mass, now i am not sure if was a can't or won't, but probably it is too dangerous.
What i fear for her, that compounded with neurological things she does (head bobbing) and the fact that she hasn't got a good aim when pecking, it is possible she may be infected with marek, which causes also immune suppression.
I love her so much, she's my beloved pet.
all i can say, bring your animals to the vet, so the meds are prescribed in the correct dosages.

I am sorry things aren't going better. It's clear that you love her, and even if things don't go the way you hope, you have tried hard to help her.

It's easy to blame yourself, but even with a vet's help, sometimes they don't get well. It happened to me last month with a hen I had raised since she was just days old. Do your best, and love her while you can.

Back
Top Bottom