The Incubator Thread

Geez, guys, so I just found a section on this in my incubator instructions. Not sure how I missed it the first few times I looked! Sleepy new chicken mom, I guess :)

I've hatched a hundred or so in my foam incubator from TSC. I bought the basic turner also. The only problem I have that it is near impossible to fill water reservoir and egg next to motor don't hatch
Most egg turners have a cover over that hole closest to the motor so you don't put one there.
Hi, we just had an awesome first hatch, but now I'm trying to clean my incubator. We have a Brinsea 40, and the trays, yellow base, and most of the clear plastic top are no problem at all.

But, the inside of the clear plastic "top"- the compartment with all the electrical components, fans, and wiring, is covered in tiny feathers. It's all screwed together and looks like the wiring is attached to both parts (inner cover and outer cover that make up the compartment). Has anybody run into this issue? How do I clean the tiny feathers out and keep them from clogging the fans, sensors, etc since I can't actually get into that part of the incubator without pulling it apart???
hu.gif
I have the Octagon 20 and have been advised not to hatch in it for that reason.

Actually, it was really easy once I realized that the electrical stuff isn't actually attached, it just looks like it is. The incubator is awesome so far, and I'm so happy we went ahead and bought the Brinsea 40 instead of the 20. We had an 88% hatch rate our first try, and it was so nice to have the digital readings and the power loss indicator. It was really easy to clean with a brush and blow out the tiny feathers, then just rescrew the cover over the electrical stuff, so I'm thrilled with it!

Actually, it was really easy once I realized that the electrical stuff isn't actually attached, it just looks like it is. The incubator is awesome so far, and I'm so happy we went ahead and bought the Brinsea 40 instead of the 20. We had an 88% hatch rate our first try, and it was so nice to have the digital readings and the power loss indicator. It was really easy to clean with a brush and blow out the tiny feathers, then just rescrew the cover over the electrical stuff, so I'm thrilled with it!

That's great! I have been happy with my Brinsea too...but it was pricey and I couldn't justify the price difference at the time. I just ordered a Genesis though so I will have paid the same as for the 40, but will be able to hatch more eggs. It also has the digital readout for temp/humidity....and that HUGE viewing window...
clap.gif

Good Morning! I am looking into getting an incubator. I have read all the post but didn't find anyone talking about the Eggcubator. I being a noob with incubators see all the bells and whistles on it and say that's for me. Anyone out there used one? I like it because it is plastic not Styrofoam and everything looks to be digital. I have been collecting eggs for 4 days to get enough chocolate /OE eggs for a broody and I have about 28 blue and green eggs that I want hatched. Maybe more if we don't eat any this weekend ;-) I just think paying someone $1 per egg to hatch for me can be better used toward my own incubator.
What do you think?
http://www.amazon.com/EGGCUBATOR-DI...TF8&qid=1397308772&sr=8-1&keywords=Eggcubator

I bought that one and it stopped working after the first time using it the only thing I was able to salvage was the egg turner.
I have sense then placed the bottom section inside a small chest freezer and bought a Digital thermostat AC 110V Digital Temperature Temp Controller Incubation Thermostat Switch Sensor on ebay----http://www.ebay.com/itm/261420539521?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I will wire the 2 light bulbs into the thermostat and put a used computer fan into it as well and Incubate my eggs that way.
I have used one of these thermostats before I shorted out the last one I had but it worked great for this purpose.

I keep finding out the hard way if its to good to be true it probably is.

I am using a hot water tank thermostat now and its holding a temp of 99.5 to 99.0 I will change it out for the digital one on the next batch of eggs.

By the way the best purchase you can make is a EGG O Meter Temperature Gage this does not show you the air temp
it shows you the core temp of the egg this is most important and keeping that between 100 and 99

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Egg-O-Meter...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item3f1e1d8de6

Here is one on ebay for around $20 with shipping I am not saying it would not be prudent to watch the air temp as well
but the air temp swings of 3 to 5 degrees will work as long as the core temp stays 99 to 100 Chicken eggs that is.
I hope I was of some help to you.

Thanks for the info. I did buy the Eggcubator. Not the knock off but the one that has a 2 year warranty. My problem now is I have more eggs than it will hold ;-) I also have my own eggs to hatch so if it fails I lose only time.

Good morning,
I am just wondering if any of you have experience with either of these incubators? The Brinsea incubators are good by all reviews I've seen, they cost a lot more than either of the larger quantity incubators I've found on Amazon, and I would like to be able to hatch higher quantities than the Brinsea mini holds (max of 7?).

I am considering the [ Farm Innovators Model 4200 Pro ] (or) [ Little Giant Advanced Incubator ] Both come with a circulatory fan & egg turner.

I am wondering if I have to fill them both as full as possible for them to get good hatches, or if I can put just a few (6+) in and still receive reliable hatches??

Also wondering since I plan to incubate guinea's as well as chickens if I need to get different trays for them or how that works since the eggs are significantly smaller than chicken eggs but not as small as quail eggs?

Thanks!

~ Heidi

I need a incubator that can automatically turn the eggs and can hatch ducks. Is this a good model for the price and what kind of a hatch rate have you guys had with it.

Okay guys my incubator finally arrived today YAY :-D
For muscovies, what is the ideal temp and humidity?
It is an unbranded 48 egg incubator and I'm assuming the booklet is a generic guide only.
Thr humidity doesn't seem to want to go above 42% and the alarm is set to 45%. I can't possibly fit more water in the irrigation channels either so I'm a bit lost and nervous about this whole process:-/

Back
Top Bottom