The Joys of Owning Imported Orpingtons

I posted this as a new thread but realized I probably should have posted this here so I am posting it here too. I was told there are lots of great people in "The Joys of Owning Imported Orpingtons" only mine are not imported. I am a new chicken owner and I went instantly obsessed with Opringtons. I bought what were supposed to be 6 English Orpingtons but after driving two and half hours found out that they were hatchery chicks guaranteed hens and I didn't want to drive home empty handed so I toughed out a very stinky car ride home with the heat on when it was 75 degrees out! I am assuming they are Americans, its ok. While I was at the chicken farm I also impulsively bought 3 Lavender Orps straight run. Now they are all 6 weeks old and 2 of the 3 lavenders are on my suspect list to be Roos. I am only allowed ONE Roo in my city and devastated at the thought of re-homing one!

What do you think? I will post more Roo suspect photos at week 7 and week 8.

Here is SUSPECT #1:

2nd photo of SUSPECT #1:

SUSPECT #2:

All 3 Lavenders together...

This must be my Lavender Hen...

Here is the rest of the gaggle out of the brooder for a wing stretch...

Yes I think you are spot on with the gender. I am so very sorry you were not treated fairly. :( Welcome to our thread :)

I dont know who did that to ya.... but your welcome to look at my birds over on FB.. Renie's Peeps. I sell my bbs chicks for 15.00 each.

I'll have to go check out your page!

You really need to state just who these birds came from. Ebay ? There are a few sellers using legit breeders' photos to sell eggs/chicks. These people need to be held accountable.
sounds like some eggs I got sent twice but none every hatched, rotten oozing eggs... I can name a seller on ebay right now stealing pictures and trying to sell birds using them. if you want nice Jubilee do check out Irenes birds, she has some nice ones, and 3 lines to work with. and if you want, PM the name of the seller, I am curious if its the same person who sold me oozing eggs...

One of the people who sold me bad eggs is (well.. was) a member here on BYC... I got several bad shipments from him and not all were orpington eggs...
The others were from eBay.. I'll have to dig up last year's egg shipment info and see who sent me what.. I had gotten so many bad shipments that it's a blur now... everything from bad packing, rotten eggs.. leghorns or other birds that were supposed to be orpingtons but weren't .. and one gal who informed me that she didn't have a rooster because she didn't want "rooster eggs" (that was after a perfect shipment of 100% un-scrambled infertile eggs)...
somad.gif

This is sooo cool!!!!!!1

gotta love a two headed chicken!
gig.gif
(I won't mention the selling point of extra drumsticks)!
love.gif

has anyone here got Jubilee hatching eggs out of South Carolina?

i got some off of ebay for the wife's birthday

the sellers feedback looked good & 3 extra eggs arrived in a well packed box today

i guess i'll know soon enough

the sellers feedback looked good & 3 extra eggs arrived in a well packed box today

No I haven't .... some sellers are good on ebay... and some ain't....

I haven't.. I have avoided the Carolinas for eggs since every egg I have gotten from that area has been mangled by USPS.. not sure what hub they route through.. but between there and Austin the poor eggs don't stand a chance

Has anyone here ordered or know if Fancy Chick is any good for real English Orps?

Since i got bamboozled on my first purchase, I figured I would reach out before I get more. (I am specifically going for Buffs.) I did see Renie's page who has gorgeous birds!!!!! I can only have one rooster so I am sticking to one color so that when i have the right rooster its the right color. I ended up with two Lavender Orps which from what I gather is not great to mate with Buff hens, so I will be re-homing those two.

Has anyone here ordered or know if Fancy Chick is any good for real English Orps?

Since i got bamboozled on my first purchase, I figured I would reach out before I get more. (I am specifically going for Buffs.) I did see Renie's page who has gorgeous birds!!!!! I can only have one rooster so I am sticking to one color so that when i have the right rooster its the right color. I ended up with two Lavender Orps which from what I gather is not great to mate with Buff hens, so I will be re-homing those two.

I have some young buff cockerels available ") and yes Fancy chick has nice birds too. The boy below is one that I recently sold.

Last edited:
I have some young buff cockerels available ") and yes Fancy chick has nice birds too. The boy below is one that I recently sold.

love.gif

I've been drooling over the birds on your page!

Just gotta get the truck fixed before I can go crazy ordering birds or eggs from anyone.. darn it!
We're still waiting on an estimate.. I hate not knowing how much the repair bill will hurt.. grr

Nellie (fancy chicks) has awesome birds, unfortunately no buffs until the fall. Renie's peeps would be a great place to get a quality buff roo.

Back
Top Bottom