The lab and the ducks

Kmoreau

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
I was just wondering if it was unusual to have a Labrador retriever who loves living with my ducks. The ducks free range all day, and my lab goes and sits by them and swims with them. She just loves being with them, not once has she attacked or snapped, but instead she will lick and groom them. It is so cute but odd... She was also 4 yrs old when I got the ducks so it's not like she grew up with them. I fully anticipated keeping her far away, with slow supervised intros, but now no issues.
Any one else with a doggy duck friendship like this one?

Thanks

My dog (lab mix, well greyhound and shepherd too lol) loves to hang around my ducks! I still don't FULLY trust her because she's only been introduced to them for roughly 2 weeks, so I always keep an eye on her if shes out with the ducks. She hasn't snapped or anything which is good, just lots of sniffing!
smile.png

I have an Akita. She was 3 when she met my ducks and never any problems. She will actually protect them when they are out free ranging and something comes into the yard and she is only around them when i am there to supervise. She has gone after smaller birds before and i do not want to take the chance of her turning on my ducks one day.

My dog (German shepherd) sits outside and will watch the chickens and ducks just walk around and he makes sure that nothing gets too close to them and he chases off other neighborhood dogs :p. I love him!

My lab is a trained duck hunting retriever, but yet he docent bother the three ducks that I have living here. He somehow knows the difference between the wild ducks that we hunt and the domestic ducks at the house. He might chase ne occasionally in a playful manner, but he never tries to grab them. It might be the fact that the runner ducks are so goofy looking that he dosent know that the are ducks yet too...lol

A dog is a dog is a dog. Please realize that things can change in an instant. So, people, please supervise your dogs around your ducks. Even playing roughly could hurt or kill your ducks by accident. It is just not worth it.

Chillin with my peeps,

Please don't worry, she is never alone with them. I don't trust 100%. I allow her to be around but she is also trained with boundaries, and she never plays with them other than swimming, also they are not allowed in the pen. I keep a close eye always!!!!

Josh,

Mine too is a bird hunting dog. My husband and I do not hunt, heck we don't even own a gun lol. But my father and father in law both do, and used my labs as their hunting dogs. I only have the one lab now and a dalmatian ( the dal is a young puppy and very rarely ever allowed by the ducks... So much energy!!!) but she is so good with my ducks I have no idea why. I have 2 grown pekins and a new Pekin baby. She is still not allowed around the baby. I think the high pitched noise freaks her out. Haha
It just so cute

Thanks

No, but I wish I did....My boxer has killed too many roosters chasing them to play with them and tackling them, but she never bit them..I guess they had heart attacks, and she did too when I scolded her.

Last edited:
I to have a lab in the doggy collection lol she's basically 13mths, she is fond of the ducks so are the other dogs, they 'play' through the fencing but i would never, ever trust them with them 100% it's just like the horses they love the dogs and will run the fence line with them but i keep them out of there paddocks.

My greyhound and dobe where here when the ducklings arrived. The ducklings bit them each change they had, so the dogs had a healthy respect for the ducks. The dobe doesn't care and the ducks try to stay out of his way. Jet will follow them. They will follow Jet. The other day, one of them climbed over Jet (greyhound) on her way to the pond - was easier than going around I guess.

Abby arrived with ducks already here. She loves to play with everything, so training to leave the ducks along. She walked over and licked Blue when she was sick and shared peas with her. Cadbury has bit her tail and Abby was clueless.

So with my 3 large dogs, we are doing fine in the duck department.

Back
Top Bottom