The Last of a Dying Breed

Buster

Back to Work
12 Years
Jan 4, 2008
The Frozen Wasteland of Idaho
There are two men in my life who have taught me so much. One is my mom's dad and the other is my wife's great-uncle. Both of these men have earned the title "Grandpa" from me. They don't make people like that anymore. Hard-working, tough as nails, able to do anything they set their mind to. Always supported their families through hard work. Reminds me of a song by Neal McCoy, "Last of a Dying Breed".

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3944550701976263942

I got a call from my mom yesterday saying my grandpa is in failing health. He probably only has a few weeks to live. He turned 79 at the beginning of this month. His death will be the greatest personal loss I've experienced. I was sent to live with my grandparents several times as a kid and in many ways they are more like my parents than grandparents. They don't make men like that anymore. I'll miss you, Grandpa, until we meet again.

hugs.gif

My grandma was always more like a mom to me too. She always understood me better and never judged me, ever. I MISS her so much. My whole family was around when grandma lived her final days. I went in one night to give her her morphine and all of a sudden she took her last breath. I honestly believe she waited until I was the only one there so that she could pass in peace and comfort. Please take as much time as you can to tell him how much he means to you and how much he has taught you. It will mean the world to him. I miss my grandma so much
hugs.gif

I know the feeling and am sorry that you are going through this. Please know that God sends us Angels in our lives even though we may not be looking for them.
hugs.gif
and prayers

Thanks. I went to visit for almost a week in December. I took my kids and we had a really good visit. I'm glad I did that then because now he doesn't have a lot of energy to talk or do much. I knew at the time that it was important that I go then because I probably wouldn't get another chance.

As long as he knows you feel that way about him then I bet he feels
his life is complete. Watching the older generations pass on isn't easy,
especially when they are our heroes.

May God Grant Him Eternal Peace.

Buster, I think it is great you recognize the influence that the "dying breed" has had on you. I learn a lot from older guys and just recently my oldest son was again pushing for me to move to his area. One reason he gave as to why he wanted me closer is that "you know how to do so many things that I need to learn". While I'm not officially as old as the "dying breed", I am getting there much faster than I expected. It's nice to be appreciated and sure your "old guys" loved sharing their knowledge with you.

Back
Top Bottom