the lion in my backyard

jeepgurl

Songster
7 Years
Jun 4, 2012
Last night, I was watching a movie when I glanced over at the security camera that covers my coop. The chickens were frozen still and all were looking in the same direction. I went outside to check it out thinking it might be a snake or a coyote outside the fence. As I was checking the yard with my maglite, I heard a thump on the wood box in the corner. I yelled "bobcat"! To my surprise, a young mountain lion jumped down right in front of me. I flashed him with my light and he leaped right over the fence. We had had a bobcat slay half our flock two years earlier and had rebuilt the coop like a fortress. Lucky chickens.

What state do you live in?
ep.gif

I live in Tucson, Arizona, right in the city. Its a regular neighborhood but there is a wash one house away. I have seen javelinas, coyotes, and one bobcat in my yard, but never a lion!

Young males and to a certain extent females are being forced from their natal territories, and finding themselves in dangerous situations. Watch any pets that you may have.

It was a young lion and very thin. I wasnt scared until I after it jumped the fence and I realized I was eight feet away from an actual lion! I have night eyes all over the chicken yard that are supposed to scare away predators. THEY DONT WORK ON LIONS! Now that I think about it, I must have looked pretty funny out there in my jammies. When he hit the ground and I saw him, I remember jumping into a karate like stance and yelling, "BOBCAT"! at it. I dont even know karate. Did I really think I was going to fight a lion? In my jammies in the dark with just a flashlight? I am soooo glad the security tape wasnt running. My son would have likely put me on youtube so the world could see it.

Last night, I was watching a movie when I glanced over at the security camera that covers my coop. The chickens were frozen still and all were looking in the same direction. I went outside to check it out thinking it might be a snake or a coyote outside the fence. As I was checking the yard with my maglite, I heard a thump on the wood box in the corner. I yelled "bobcat"! To my surprise, a young mountain lion jumped down right in front of me. I flashed him with my light and he leaped right over the fence. We had had a bobcat slay half our flock two years earlier and had rebuilt the coop like a fortress. Lucky chickens.

We have bobcats here too (KS). Beautiful creatures. I'm glad yours didn't have a chicken dinner. So far the red foxes, coyotes, bobcats and neighbor dogs haven't had any chicken dinners here, knock on wood! There have been times when the coyotes have come yipping and howling into my yard (Duh, chicks and ducks are cooped at night). I leap out of bed, grab my trusty maglite and scare them off in my pj's. We're in a subdivision of 5 acre lots, so I don't think the neighbors ever notice. At least none of them seem to be suffering post traumatic stress disorder so I think it's all good!
big_smile.png

It was a young lion and very thin. I wasnt scared until I after it jumped the fence and I realized I was eight feet away from an actual lion! I have night eyes all over the chicken yard that are supposed to scare away predators. THEY DONT WORK ON LIONS! Now that I think about it, I must have looked pretty funny out there in my jammies. When he hit the ground and I saw him, I remember jumping into a karate like stance and yelling, "BOBCAT"! at it. I dont even know karate. Did I really think I was going to fight a lion? In my jammies in the dark with just a flashlight? I am soooo glad the security tape wasnt running. My son would have likely put me on youtube so the world could see it.

yuckyuck.gif
Lucky chickens AND lucky you for not ending up on youtube. Although, I would enjoy watching someone else on youtube chasing off protential chicken killers in their jams with their trusty maglite. The Karate thing was a really nice touch. I'll have to try that on the coyotes, although they respond with appropriate terror just to the sight of me in my jams. Thanks for the laugh.

Me in my undershorts (or not) have done little to ward of the myriad of predators that I have faced over the years. Do predators laugh? I am pretty sure the black pony that scared the bejeezus out of me one night laughed. In that first instant of panic, I was certain that I was in close proximity to a black bear. And when the pony snorted,
ep.gif
barnie.gif
ep.gif

LMAO!!!!!!!! Some ponies are just pure evil Maybe the lion left because he was insulted by being called a bobcat.

Back
Top Bottom