The Lone Drake

Nikoi Gryphon

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 17, 2012
Okay, So I have this Duck- His name is Denver. Well; he was raised with 3 other ducklings, one died quite a while ago and a couple months ago the other two died. We got them at the farmers market, as Khaki Campells. I had I believe 1 hen against 3 drakes, the hen and one drake looked like the breed, but the other two not so much. Only one non-khaki looking drake is alive (Denver). I have a few questions about him. Would a Dog harness hurt him any? I want to put one on him, so I can walk him. Would it be safe to use with a retractable leash for small dogs less then 20/10 pounds? I appreciate any answers, I love learning new things, mostly from this forum and I hope I can better Denver's life from this- I've had other ducks, ever since I set eyes on those ducklings I've loved ducks. But there is just something about little Denny that makes me want to.. Keep him and have a "pet" duck-flock. On a very small budget.. Hopefully, I'm not quite "eligible" so-to-say for a job yet. LOL. I got some pictures of Denny =) In these pictures you can't see his feet, but they are orange.

Last edited:
Does anyone perhaps have any guesses to what he might be? I know he doesn't look like a Khaki Campell drake... One of his "Brothers" looked like one, though. I got them from a farmers market and I don't know if the person we got them off of had different type ducks in the same pen or not. Once when he went through a Molt, he looked exactly like a Khaki Campell Hen- I swear he did. He also looked like a Khaki duckling...

Also, I was thinking of getting him some hens- But I'm not sure if it would be "responsible" to do that. When some people only want the hens, There seems to be so many unwanted male animals around; Should I go ahead and start looking for him some hens, or perhaps some drake buddies? I only want the best for Denny =) I'm sure he'd make Beautiful Babies, but I want to be responsible about this, Denver is my responsibility, so I have to make sure he has a great life. Although I Think I need a little guidance to figure what is in his best interest.

I'm sure he'd love some hens, I was thinking if I was going to go the Hen route, I would get some Muscovy's (I heard its hard for them to produce together and any resulting offspring are sterile?) or Khaki's, or something pretty. (...All ducks are pretty though.. xD Muscovy's <3)

He looks like a poor example of a khaki maybe, or is very sun faded (which is likely) and would darken when he molted again. If you dont want ducklings look for another drake to be Denvers living buddy.

Denver is a cutie but he should diff have a buddy, I'm sure he has to be lonely, and I don't know if a dog harness would work but you can buy harness form ducks form The gooses mother [online] and she also has leashes.

He looks like a poor example of a khaki maybe, or is very sun faded (which is likely) and would darken when he molted again. If you dont want ducklings look for another drake to be Denvers living buddy.
Maybe =) I didn't think of the sun faded... I have some of his and his last buddies feathers.. from other molt/s, so perhaps I'll try to compare them. :D I've been looking on some classifieds for him a buddy or two, haven't found any yet though. If I got him some Hens, I'd most likely want all the ducklings :)

Denver is a cutie but he should diff have a buddy, I'm sure he has to be lonely, and I don't know if a dog harness would work but you can buy harness form ducks form The gooses mother [online] and she also has leashes.
I hope I can find him a Buddy or two soon, he does seem quite lonely. There doesn't seem to be many people around selling ducks this time of year, so until I can get him a buddy I plan on finding him a mirror. I think I saw that site once :D Thanks

He's adorable! He would make cute babies, I personally would get another drake, I love their personalities!
Thank you :) I think he would too ^^ Drakes are very sweet and gentle, aren't they? :D

Where are you located? State only is fine, often there are BYC'r who has extra drakes available, or ducklings or pairs.
In Missouri ^^ Nearer to the Arkansas border.

Quote:
I love drakes!
love.gif
I like how sassy they are! I just love their personalities! Babies would be cute tough! :D

Back
Top Bottom