The Middle Tennessee Thread

RE: the right thread for chicks lol

These are my chocolate/mauve bantam orpingtons. The splash is an interesting girl, I'm not quite sure what to call her. She is from a breeding pen for mauve pullets with a "Chocolate" rooster and a blue hen. I'm not aware that a true chocolate can produce a splash, even with a blue hen, because chocolate is recessive and sex linked. Now dun is dominant and breeds like BBS. You can get Dark Brown (like black), brown (like dark blue), light brown (like light blue), and splash. And there sits Marshmallow Peep, my mauve splash. Can I get that with chocolate and blue? Or is this a dun splash baby and the breeder has dun but thinks she has chocolate? Or a mauve splash? Is there a mauve splash possibility? Anybody?

So hey, I'm looking for bantam chocolate and blue, and bantam mauve if you have any. It may take charts and gray hairs on my head, but I WILL get to the bottom of this!!!! Quite a project I have before me.

Last edited:
Raven1, I am in south central MO now, not sure you'd want to drive 3 hours to meet me, would you??

droolin.gif

These are my chocolate/mauve bantam orpingtons. The splash is an interesting girl, I'm not quite sure what to call her. She is from a breeding pen for mauve pullets with a "Chocolate" rooster and a blue hen. I'm not aware that a true chocolate can produce a splash, even with a blue hen, because chocolate is recessive and sex linked. Now dun is dominant and breeds like BBS. You can get Dark Brown (like black), brown (like dark blue), light brown (like light blue), and splash. And there sits Marshmallow Peep, my mauve splash. Can I get that with chocolate and blue? Or is this a dun splash baby and the breeder has dun but thinks she has chocolate? Or a mauve splash? Is there a mauve splash possibility? Anybody?

So hey, I'm looking for bantam chocolate and blue, and bantam mauve if you have any. It may take charts and gray hairs on my head, but I WILL get to the bottom of this!!!! Quite a project I have before me.

What ever she turns out to be, Marshmellow is gorgeous!

Interesting, first think I see on her is she has yellow skin on her face what color are her legs? Orps should not have yellow skin.

These are my choc and there is a mauve in there too. Mine are not bantam but not huge either. I have LOADS of choc pullets that are laying listed on CL No mauves or blues sorry. I have a couple of blue split to choc cockerels I am going to use to breed for mauve when they mature. Mostly I am wanting to work with the mauves but not going to breed to get splash. Not sure what that would look like but would think the choc would still express. Your girl looks more white than splash. White is recessive or can be and if both parents have a copy they can produce a white chick..... the yellow skin makes me think you had a mixed egg in there, but that is recessive too so not sure what to tell you. Can you get some pictures of their legs? I am seeing yellow in the dark ones faces too.....

Last edited:
Interesting, first think I see on her is she has yellow skin on her face what color are her legs? Orps should not have yellow skin. These are my choc and there is a mauve in there too. Mine are not bantam but not huge either. I have LOADS of choc pullets that are laying listed on CL No mauves or blues sorry. I have a couple of blue split to choc cockerels I am going to use to breed for mauve when they mature. Mostly I am wanting to work with the mauves but not going to breed to get splash. Not sure what that would look like but would think the choc would still express. Your girl looks more white than splash. White is recessive or can be and if both parents have a copy they can produce a white chick..... the yellow skin makes me think you had a mixed egg in there, but that is recessive too so not sure what to tell you. Can you get some pictures of their legs? I am seeing yellow in the dark ones faces too.....
Grrrr...well darn it, so this breeder could have mixed breed birds in there? Crud. The photos were taken in the late afternoon, the splash does have sthe splas pattern but her splashes are a mauve color. It is very unique. But her beak does have yellow in it. The other two don't have much if any. I don't think the cockerel does at all. His comb has side points near the back and was always destined to be just a pet/protector. But they are all sweet little pets. So, my projects are to breed quality black Australorps, project blue Australorps, and bantam as well as large fowl Orpingtons.

Well her beak may be yellow but her face skin is pink. One of the threads was talking last month about some blue based splashes when bred to splashes for multiple generations can almost become pure white with just a few flecks of color. I forget whether I was reading the BBS Marans or the BBS Sumatras.

Quote: If you look at the white one up close her skin on her face is also yellow.... so is one of the girls in the other pictures. Legs are going to be the answer here or the soles of the feed.

Splash can fade to white but the combo she is breeding can't produce splash so that is not the case here with over breeding splash to become white.

Back
Top Bottom