The Middle Tennessee Thread

Just throwing this out there...
But I have 24 silver cuckoo leghorn chicks due to hatch later this October. Eggs are HUGE. They are auto sexed at hatch so I will be selling in trios most likely. If anyone is interested I thought I'd throw out the word.
I also have 20 ish show quality/breeder quality silkie chicks from nice lines that will be hatching then as well :)

We are almost neighbors I'm in lawrenceburg. How much would you be selling the leghorn trios for? I might be interested. Let me know.

I WISH my chickens had waited for me to serve them pumpkin. lol Mine went into my garden and helped themselves. Ended up with 3 to decorate the front porch for my 7 yr old and i'll be darned if they didn't hunt one of those down and ate a hole clean thru it.

katie1500- I wish you were a bit closer! I've been searching for a show or breeder quality blue Silkie cockerel for a while now, and no one seems to have what I'm looking for :/ I've gotten few responses, but they're either the wrong color or just not up to par type wise (I'm VERY picky- at least thats what the last lady I spoke to told me anyway :gig ).

Anyway, good luck with the hatch!

I'm not exactly sure on price yet. I will decide closer to hatch date once I get an idea of how many will hatch and then genders once hatched.

Last edited:
If you have been wanting to try the Cream Legbars I have a rooster and 2 young legbar/bielefelder mix pullets. We wanted to keep the rooster as a pet but he always finds a way to mate with my breeding stock. These will be free. The rooster has been molting but is almost finished. If you want to see a picture of him go to the Cream Legbar thread I have a picture there. Send me a private message or post here if you want them.

We set out a trap last night with cat food. Caught a cat this morning. We are going to relocate the cat this evening just to be safe. (It has no collar and doesn't seem well fed.). I called the animal welfare agencies and all are full of cats with waiting lists. This would be the 2nd cat we are trapping and paying to get spaid this year. (We had another that we trapped in our basement after ripping through our HVAC and us having to replace it for 7k.). So we will be relocating this time. I know it's possible it's the cat but not likely. Since we didn't catch a possum and they aren't very smart, I'm assuming it's a raccoon. We are going to try marshmellows with honey or jam tonight and see if we can't catch it again.

Any suggestions or ideas? We are right in the middle of the city so shooting directly isn't an option. However, we will be dispatching this animal when we catch it as to not spread disease or hurt other peoples chickens.

3 days into trapping and no issues. I think the cat was our culprit. On release hubby said it had scratches all over it's eyes and face. Could have been from our rooster. We tried the jam and marshmellow trick and came up empty handed on 3 nights. Talked to some neighbors and the neighbor behind us moved out and left their cat and it's been digging in trashcans and stalking small dogs. It did look pretty hungry. I wished Id known sooner, could have left some food for it and maybe could've prevented this.

3 days into trapping and no issues. I think the cat was our culprit. On release hubby said it had scratches all over it's eyes and face. Could have been from our rooster. We tried the jam and marshmellow trick and came up empty handed on 3 nights. Talked to some neighbors and the neighbor behind us moved out and left their cat and it's been digging in trashcans and stalking small dogs. It did look pretty hungry. I wished Id known sooner, could have left some food for it and maybe could've prevented this.
Just to put it out there- there are several very low cost (to no cost) non-profit, funded spay and neuter programs in middle TN that will spay and neuter cats and dogs for ridiculously low prices. The Middle Tennessee Spay/Neuter Clinic in Shelbyville is one of them. Depending on the situation and the area the cat was found in (because they have grants for free surgeries for residents of some counties, or people in some financial brackets) they will spay/neuter cats for $0-40. As a veterinarian and a cat lover, it totally breaks my heart to hear of abandoned or stray animals causing problems and being killed, hurt, starved, etc. and it's a HUGE problem here. What do we do with all these problem pets when the shelters are full? We (meaning me, everyone in this group, and all other good hearted, responsible humans) urge everyone to spay and neuter to eliminate or at least reduce the problem. I'm not pointing a finger at East Nash Chick or anyone on here. I just want people to know that EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US can help the pet nuisance problem by spaying/neutering ALL of our farm and house cats and dogs, and urging everyone we know to do the same.....letting people know that there are places like the Middle TN Spay/Neuter Clinic that have funds to help this very problem! And I agree with East Nash Chick- feeding the abandoned cat would have been a good thing to do. I can't imagine moving and leaving a pet behind to fend for itself. I like to think that people that do these kinds of things get a just reward in the end.

Just to put it out there- there are several very low cost (to no cost) non-profit, funded spay and neuter programs in middle TN that will spay and neuter cats and dogs for ridiculously low prices. The Middle Tennessee Spay/Neuter Clinic in Shelbyville is one of them. Depending on the situation and the area the cat was found in (because they have grants for free surgeries for residents of some counties, or people in some financial brackets) they will spay/neuter cats for $0-40. As a veterinarian and a cat lover, it totally breaks my heart to hear of abandoned or stray animals causing problems and being killed, hurt, starved, etc. and it's a HUGE problem here. What do we do with all these problem pets when the shelters are full? We (meaning me, everyone in this group, and all other good hearted, responsible humans) urge everyone to spay and neuter to eliminate or at least reduce the problem. I'm not pointing a finger at East Nash Chick or anyone on here. I just want people to know that EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US can help the pet nuisance problem by spaying/neutering ALL of our farm and house cats and dogs, and urging everyone we know to do the same.....letting people know that there are places like the Middle TN Spay/Neuter Clinic that have funds to help this very problem! And I agree with East Nash Chick- feeding the abandoned cat would have been a good thing to do. I can't imagine moving and leaving a pet behind to fend for itself. I like to think that people that do these kinds of things get a just reward in the end. 

I spayed the other cat for $90, and spent $7000 on my HVAC she ripped through. I know that we should've spaid this one, we just had to release it, I couldn't spend any more time and effort on cats this year. If it happens again, I'll do it. I just can't fix every single cat if the welfare agencies aren't willing to work with me. NHS said I needed to hold onto it for a week to get into their program!

Back
Top Bottom