The Middle Tennessee Thread

Thanks @cree57i for helping me get my first flock started. The Isabella's are finally getting comfortable with us and the little ones are doing great! Once I've got my act a little more together I'll be back to bother you.

It was a pleasure to meet you in person finally! Absolutely no bother though!

I am back in the broody business. Found this today. She has 21 eggs under her. Also have another new Marans broody. That makes 4 setting in this heat. I did manage to break #5 though.

I have isabelle leghorns, brown leghorns, black copper marans that are all POL or laying. I have a herd of chicks that are getting old enough to pick out pullets. They are BYM, marans and isabelles. The roosters in the BYM are australorp, isbar (Silverudd Blue) and swedish flower hen. The hens in the BYM are marans (black and blue copper, cuckoo, birchen, white), EE, ameraucana, australorp. Very likely to have Olive eggers out of the mixed ones. I also have a small herd of silver ameraucana and Queen Silvia cockerels I am thinning out. It is pretty wild and crazy around here. Please PM me for details!

I PMed you about getting another chicken and seeing what you have available!

Well, everyone...it's been a sad day. I got too comfortable letting my girls free range while I wasn't home and I lost my first girl today and one of my other girls got all of her tail feathers ripped out :hit :hit :hit They are 17 weeks old and didn't even start laying...not sure how this stress is going to help the situation. Yup, I cried. RIP Poppy

So sorry for your loss.

Hi all from Bledsoe County. Anyone have silver appleyard duck eggs for sale? We bought some online and had a bad hatch. We only have 4 ducklings and that's not quite a flock.
Thank you

I was outside with the girls about 9:30 this morning and one of the hens comes flying through the fence with the largest fox I have seen right on her tail feathers. He was going to come over the fence after her until he saw me not 12 feet away. My LGD's were cooling it under the hen house and never knew he was there. Pretty intense.

Is there anyway to make a fox leave the area. I sent DH on a fox hunt, but so far the fox has out foxed him.

I was outside with the girls about 9:30 this morning and one of the hens comes flying through the fence with the largest fox I have seen right on her tail feathers. He was going to come over the fence after her until he saw me not 12 feet away. My LGD's were cooling it under the hen house and never knew he was there. Pretty intense.

Is there anyway to make a fox leave the area. I sent DH on a fox hunt, but so far the fox has out foxed him.

Oh, no! That's bad news... only thing I can think of, besides lead to the head if you can, is set up snares at night after lock up... :/

Electric fencing and get the men to pee around the perimeter. Good luck though, my husband will not do it, even at night. We have a enclosed run with netting on top. And will add electric fencing when we need it. Double up, do top and bottom.

Electric fencing and get the men to pee around the perimeter. Good luck though, my husband will not do it, even at night. We have a enclosed run with netting on top. And will add electric fencing when we need it. Double up, do top and bottom.

At least he got the dog to pee around the perimeter! LOL! Electric fencing is a good idea. They have chain link runs with heavy netting on top but it is so hot i have been letting them out to free range. I lost 2 Frisian cockerels by count tonight. At least no pullets...yet. DH has been out with the shotgun several times and studying on the internet about trapping a fox. I think lead to the head would be the most effective fix, but you have to find him for that to work. @RavynFallen he was coming through the fence where we were sitting the other day. Glad more chickens weren't over at the little pond today.

Thanks everybody!

At least he got the dog to pee around the perimeter! LOL! Electric fencing is a good idea. They have chain link runs with heavy netting on top but it is so hot i have been letting them out to free range.  I lost 2 Frisian cockerels by count tonight. At least no pullets...yet. DH has been out with the shotgun several times and studying on the internet about trapping a fox. I think lead to the head would be the most effective fix, but you have to find him for that to work. @RavynFallen
 he was coming through the fence where we were sitting the other day. Glad more chickens weren't over at the little pond today.

Thanks everybody!

Yeah, that's why I said 'if you can', lol... dang fox picked a pretty spot to come in at! And I really enjoyed having coffee with you, btw! Love your setup... and your birds... :D

So the fox is getting them during the day??? That's really not good... they're usually nocturnal hunters... be careful... :/

We had an issue with a fox a month ago or so and we set up live traps. We have a friend that does it for a living. He used honey buns smashed through the bottom of the trap that wired a kfc drumstick to the back of it. That way they can't grab and run. We set it up that night and it was in the trap the next morning. He said honey buns are irresistible to them. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom