The Middle Tennessee Thread

Thank you all. We ended up losing one Silkie juvenile, one red sex link chick, one cinnamon queen chick, and all three broodies abandoned their nests (20 eggs between the three).

My poor son, who is 12, got up this morning late and said, "Man, Duke will be mad I didn't feed him yet." Then he remembered.
hit.gif
He is taking this much harder than I expected. I think it is because he has no one to blame. When your dog gets hit by a car you can blame the driver or even the dog. But when your dog gets hit by lightning who do you blame? He somehow feels guilty that he couldn't catch the dog before the storm hit. But I wasn't going to let him go out in that!! Such a random, freak thing to happen.

We lost some tin off the really old coop, everything is a mud pit, but otherwise no structural damage.

I hope everyone else came out ok!
So sorry for your losses.

ugh! Lightning hit a tree behind our house this afternoon. The kids were in the room closest to the tree and were temporarily blinded and deafened, the thunder clap deafened me too and my good ear still hurts (I am partially deaf in the other one). I got zapped in the living room setting near the computer (I had just yelled get down when the red flash exploded). It killed one of our outside dogs that was under the shed about six feet from the tree. Obviously zapped some chickens that were nearby. They are walking funny and their feathers are ruffled, but they aren't dead. When the storm came up we called the dogs and only the Anatolian responded and came inside. We buried the dog during breaks in the weather. Some damage to coops and some missing birds currently, but hopefully they are just hiding in weird places and not back in the coops as normal.
hit.gif

Sorry to hear that, esp. being your son's dog; that is a hard thing.

I hope everyone else did ok yesterday -- they are predicting more today also so stay safe everyone !

Probable little cockerel in need of rehoming, mixed breed. Bought eggs to hatch and the seller didn't let me know that black stars and RIRs were in amongst the flock of Australorps. He is all black, so he is a mixed breed.

Probable little cockerel that is looking to be an Australorp but of course, I can't guarantee that.

Both are free. Located in Lawrence County, TN.

ugh! Lightning hit a tree behind our house this afternoon. The kids were in the room closest to the tree and were temporarily blinded and deafened, the thunder clap deafened me too and my good ear still hurts (I am partially deaf in the other one). I got zapped in the living room setting near the computer (I had just yelled get down when the red flash exploded). It killed one of our outside dogs that was under the shed about six feet from the tree. Obviously zapped some chickens that were nearby. They are walking funny and their feathers are ruffled, but they aren't dead. When the storm came up we called the dogs and only the Anatolian responded and came inside. We buried the dog during breaks in the weather. Some damage to coops and some missing birds currently, but hopefully they are just hiding in weird places and not back in the coops as normal.
hit.gif

So sorry to hear that.

We cleaned 17 pens today and have just a few more to go tomorrow..... maybe 4-5. Hubby said lets work at the farm ALL day tomorrow.... we can maybe work on a prototype feeder for the new brooders. YEAH! The feeders and waterers have been the big hold up on everything getting finished. The 3 we have simi finished are working GREAT! I just need to get the feeders and waterers fixed. I hate having to fight chicks to get feed and water INSIDE and out of the brooders.

@Raven1 I have not forgotten your request for more pics. When I figure out what I am doing I will make a page with pics.

Back
Top Bottom