The Middle Tennessee Thread

Not mine... But we did lose 4 Aussies today :(

One of the 5 must have gotten away as I found her hiding in the bushes. The culprit tore straight through 1/2inch mesh hardware cloth. I caught a picture of a dog on a different part of our property on a trail camera. Color matches the hair I found in the mangled HW cloth. It left 3 hens to die. 1 is missing (presumed dead) only had the one scared and luckily it wasn't physically injured.

Sad day... The SO didn't see the carnage (lucky) but took it very rough as these were the first that we had raised from chicks.

Makes me angry... Almost like the dog killed just Bc it could. Crazy it went through the trouble of tearing through the HW cloth. Trail camera is now on the coops; will be taking extra precautions in the following days/weeks.

Oh no! Thats awful! That was a rough week for me too! I made a poor decision to try to let my game rooster mingle with the rest of my flock...he attacked one of my other roosters and would have killed him if we hadnt intervened...left the bantam roo blind in one eye! Then a couple of days later my husband decided the rooster was well enuf to go bk outside where the other roosters attacked him and ran him into the outside dogs reach so the dog got him too...i thought he was dead but hes doing ok now! He's just totally blind! But I took the dog that day to town hoping to find someone to take him for rehoming but it was Veterans Day and nowhere was open! Brought him home and chained him up with the intention of calling the agency the next day and he got off the chain in the middle of the night, tore thru the side of my game cock's pen and ate him and the hen i had in there! Thank god the ones in the coop mustve gone into stealth mode and he didnt know they were in there or im sure he would've done everything in his power to get to them too! He ate both chickens whole...beaks, feathers, feet and all! Needless to say in that 24hrs i got left with a totally blind rooster & lost a rooster, a hen, & a dog! Then i saw the coyote with the chicken in his mouth later that same day! I wanted to chase the coyote and get the chicken bk but i didnt and i really regret not stopping and letting the ppl now what i saw! I believe it was a buff Orpington chicken that he got! I just hope it didnt go bk and get more!

I have a mule in my field! It's not mine..it's my neighbors but we let them put a fence up around our field for their horses and the mule and the built the fence where i can put some goats in with them when I decide to get some cuz i really want some goats! And yes! Donkeys and mules will kill coyotes if they can get ahold of them! The r great for protecting the farm!

Mustang horses are great too. They hate canines. I used to have a Mustang mare and when stray dogs would show up she would be right at the fence line daring them to come in while my sheep huddled behind her. Desert Rose was hell on wheels. If the adult sheep dared to snatch grain out of her bucket they would get bit or kicked but she would share with the lambs.

Not mine... But we did lose 4 Aussies today
sad.png

One of the 5 must have gotten away as I found her hiding in the bushes. The culprit tore straight through 1/2inch mesh hardware cloth. I caught a picture of a dog on a different part of our property on a trail camera. Color matches the hair I found in the mangled HW cloth. It left 3 hens to die. 1 is missing (presumed dead) only had the one scared and luckily it wasn't physically injured.

Sad day... The SO didn't see the carnage (lucky) but took it very rough as these were the first that we had raised from chicks.

Makes me angry... Almost like the dog killed just Bc it could. Crazy it went through the trouble of tearing through the HW cloth. Trail camera is now on the coops; will be taking extra precautions in the following days/weeks.
You might want to run a hot wire around the coop. I know a shepherdess out west who folds strips of heavy aluminum foil over the wire and then smears it with peanut butter. When the coyotes lick it they get the full shock in the mouth and don't challenge the fence again.

Sorry its been so long since I have been on here. Still alive and kicking! Still in middle Tn.(Portland) . Am out of chickens at the moment but have my Roller pigeons and guniea pigs. Anyone else on our thread have either one? Not ready for the rain event for the next four days! Would much rather it snow! lolIt has sure been a super mild winter so far.

Who is the current contact to arrange for NPIP testing?

Call the State Veterinarian's Office at 615-837-5120. The cost for certification and testing is $40 annually. A department representative will need to test your flock on an annual basis for Pullorum and every 180 days for Avian Influenza.

Back
Top Bottom