The Middle Tennessee Thread

Fixed my problem

Call the State Veterinarian's Office at 615-837-5120. The cost for certification and testing is $40 annually. A department representative will need to test your flock on an annual basis for Pullorum and every 180 days for Avian Influenza.

Thanks! Now if I can be home for the testing, that is another story altogether

Thanks! Now if I can be home for the testing, that is another story altogether

I just talked to my NPIP guy tonight. He was real nice and even said he would come on Saturday if he needed to. He also said he brings "helpers" to do the swabs and blood draws. The additional AI testing at 6 months, is optional, but at no added cost. He said Texas requires AI testing within 30 days of shipping eggs into the state. He said some of the other states it is 180 days of testing to ship legally. I asked who the helpers are. He told me they are feds.
barnie.gif
and that TN. and Alabama have hired federal people to go along for the testing. Occasionally, it is a federal vet, but more commonly a federal inspector. My birds are looking, and seem to be feeling, in top shape, but for some reason having federal inspectors here makes my stomach hurt. The federal inspector part is a new twist from what I gathered from him. As recently as August, the state guys came alone. They test 25% of the birds over 4 months old. I have an appointment, but this is scary!!! I asked about the repeated AI testing because I thought they would be dead if they have AI. Apparently there are 2 strains. The virulent strain, they die in hours. The other strain they can live with. He said in 2010 they found the other strain in Giles County, TN.

Has anybody done this since the federal inspectors became part of the team?
idunno.gif

Sorry, I'm new to the thread and forum and havn't been able to find the beginning of this conversation. Under what circumstances is the testing required in TN?

I just talked to my NPIP guy tonight. He was real nice and even said he would come on Saturday if he needed to. He also said he brings "helpers" to do the swabs and blood draws. The additional AI testing at 6 months, is optional, but at no added cost. He said Texas requires AI testing within 30 days of shipping eggs into the state. He said some of the other states it is 180 days of testing to ship legally. I asked who the helpers are. He told me they are feds.
barnie.gif
and that TN. and Alabama have hired federal people to go along for the testing. Occasionally, it is a federal vet, but more commonly a federal inspector. My birds are looking, and seem to be feeling, in top shape, but for some reason having federal inspectors here makes my stomach hurt. The federal inspector part is a new twist from what I gathered from him. As recently as August, the state guys came alone. They test 25% of the birds over 4 months old. I have an appointment, but this is scary!!! I asked about the repeated AI testing because I thought they would be dead if they have AI. Apparently there are 2 strains. The virulent strain, they die in hours. The other strain they can live with. He said in 2010 they found the other strain in Giles County, TN.

Has anybody done this since the federal inspectors became part of the team?
idunno.gif

Sorry, I'm new to the thread and forum and havn't been able to find the beginning of this conversation. Under what circumstances is the testing required in TN?

As far as I know testing in TN is voluntary. For shipping eggs to other states it is supposed to be required, though obviously difficult to patrol. There are many on here more well versed in this than I am though. Good question.

Back
Top Bottom