The Middle Tennessee Thread

I put some in the bator and MIGHT have a few more hatch. I have a SG in each pen well not in the white pen anymore. It will be 2 weeks out before they hatch. I will set one more batch the end of the week or first of next week.

Ok Middle TN BYC friends, I could use a little help or just some advice. We have a small flock of 22 girls and 1 little boy. The boy was purely an accident. We were told that we were getting 5 Ameraucana pullets and we ended up with a cockerel. All that being said, life with our 8 month old boy has been pleasant. He is not aggressive in the least to we people type, and up until a few months ago, he had been very calm with our girls. Then I noticed one of our girls had some neck feathers missing, I kept an eye on her for a few days and the feathers around her neck were disappearing rapidly and she had been pecked badly. I pulled her out to heal, thinking he might have favored her and his actions caused the missing feathers and sore. After a few days in the hospital she returned to the flock and immediately, our boy attacked her into submission. So back to the hospital coop she went. We have been letting her live in our little coop, which is so inconvenient. We have tried multiple times to re-introduce her to the gang and he will not allow it. She is not sick in anyway. Completely healthy and a great layer. Because the importance of our flock is egg production, I cant see getting rid of a great, healthy layer because our boy hates her. We would love to re-home him, and although we have a lot of Amish families that would take him off our hands, their purpose would not be to re-home him. If anyone in the Lawrence County area is interested in re-homing an 8 month old Ameraucana cockerel, we would love for them to have him. That would be the ideal situation. If there is anything else yall know of we can try to make peace in case no one wants him, I would love to hear your suggestions. Thanks for your help with this!

Ok Middle TN BYC friends, I could use a little help or just some advice. We have a small flock of 22 girls and 1 little boy. The boy was purely an accident. We were told that we were getting 5 Ameraucana pullets and we ended up with a cockerel. All that being said, life with our 8 month old boy has been pleasant. He is not aggressive in the least to we people type, and up until a few months ago, he had been very calm with our girls. Then I noticed one of our girls had some neck feathers missing, I kept an eye on her for a few days and the feathers around her neck were disappearing rapidly and she had been pecked badly. I pulled her out to heal, thinking he might have favored her and his actions caused the missing feathers and sore. After a few days in the hospital she returned to the flock and immediately, our boy attacked her into submission. So back to the hospital coop she went. We have been letting her live in our little coop, which is so inconvenient. We have tried multiple times to re-introduce her to the gang and he will not allow it. She is not sick in anyway. Completely healthy and a great layer. Because the importance of our flock is egg production, I cant see getting rid of a great, healthy layer because our boy hates her. We would love to re-home him, and although we have a lot of Amish families that would take him off our hands, their purpose would not be to re-home him. If anyone in the Lawrence County area is interested in re-homing an 8 month old Ameraucana cockerel, we would love for them to have him. That would be the ideal situation. If there is anything else yall know of we can try to make peace in case no one wants him, I would love to hear your suggestions. Thanks for your help with this!
She is his favorite it sounds like. He is not PULLING her feathers out that is where he holds on when mating. I have a few girls with bald spots on their heads. Nothing to worry about. Unless she is bleeding I would not remove her. It is not a good idea to put one chicken back in the pen. That knocks her down the bottom of the pecking order and the others are more likely to peck her. I know they were raised together but they could still kill her, I have had it happen. That is why we always introduce at least 2 birds at a time.

Try separating him for a while... let the girls stay together and rebond, get his status knocked down a bit and maybe he will learn a bit more respect coming back in...

fl.gif
hope he has a safe trip!!

Got an update on the emu eggs??
big_smile.png
wink.png
Not really anything happening with them other than a little bit of wiggling. Still waiting on them :/

Back
Top Bottom