The Middle Tennessee Thread

Quote:
Mine won't free range again unless I am right outside with them. No exceptions - until next year when my LGD is fully trained.

My neighbor free ranges her chickens, almost all of them. She does have several dogs (1 LGD) and cats and she has only lost one chicken over the years. The guy I got my Marans from has a big hunting type dog and he rescued him so he was not raised with birds and he protects them. He pulled a big hawk off one of the Marans, the Marans was not hurt and the bird flew away so that was a good thing for all. I am going to get some LGD when we move. I would just feel better. Some of my pens up front need to be improved to keep predators out... but that is a job for the spring. My son has a lab so I don't think free ranging is in my future now.

Do you have another roo?

Quote:
Mine won't free range again unless I am right outside with them. No exceptions - until next year when my LGD is fully trained.

My neighbor free ranges her chickens, almost all of them. She does have several dogs (1 LGD) and cats and she has only lost one chicken over the years. The guy I got my Marans from has a big hunting type dog and he rescued him so he was not raised with birds and he protects them. He pulled a big hawk off one of the Marans, the Marans was not hurt and the bird flew away so that was a good thing for all. I am going to get some LGD when we move. I would just feel better. Some of my pens up front need to be improved to keep predators out... but that is a job for the spring. My son has a lab so I don't think free ranging is in my future now.

Do you have another roo?

I have a 14-week EE roo . I have the 2 araucana week-old chicks. One or both may be roos.

I'm sorry CarolJ!

I have an odd question/situation. I have Buff Orpingtons and Australorps laying. They have almost completely stopped with the shorter days so hubby installed a light with timer to lengthen their "days". Now, both are brown egg layers - last night I found two green eggs in the nesting box.
hu.gif
Has anyone every had their girls change their egg laying colors?

Sorry bout your boy Carol! When you are ready I am sure someone here can help you get a new boy!

I have been at the hsp with pneumonia and bronchitis. This is 3rd time I have gotten sick since February when my Granny's was in hsp. Not fun stuff and especially when I have my family business to run, a farm and all the animals that depend on me. Oh and Christmas. This is one of those days I just want to curl up and make the word go away.

I hope you all are in better shape.

Back
Top Bottom