The Migratory/Ornamental Waterfowl INFO Thread

This time of year no where. And most breeders don't sell eggs. You will still be looking at $10 an egg and no way to know if they are fertile

Just wanted to follow the thread all this info is great!!!!!!!.....and also put in that I am looking for mandarin and wood ducks ;)

frow.gif
Hi everyone! I got my first ornamental ducks, a pair of mandarins, a few months ago. I love them, they are so pretty and I love the sounds they make. I am expanding their pen this spring, and would like to add another pair of ornamentals. I want something that I don't have to mess with getting a federal permit for. And that is friendlier/less flighty than the mandarins. Preferably something that would get along with the mandarins too. Any suggestions? I was thinking maybe a pair of maned ducks, do they seem like a good choice for me?

Congrats Julie. Maned ducks (Australian woodducks)are really hard to find.Just a thought but Ringed teal are pretty,friendly and easy birds to keep. Plus they have color year round and they are only one of the two species of ducks that make a whistling sound when they fly.Plus they make hilarious sounds. A great all around small duck that get along with mandies fine and use the same type raised nesting boxes. No permits needed and easy to find and purchase. Check em out. Shawn

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom