The Migratory/Ornamental Waterfowl INFO Thread

Just want to give a little awareness on sickness. My barnacle hen was found dead this morning I had no idea that anything was wrong with her. Just goes to show how good they hide it.

Sorry i dont get on here very much threw the summer.
In ,16x60 you can put a few pairs in. Depends on the species.
Tree ducks for example are more agressive thus need more room. Spot, cuban, and white face are the most agressive. The others arent too bad and make decent community mates.
Teal are fine with docile species. Mandarins are grumpy but usually just butt bitters.

20 mixed birds would be fine. Be sure to provide plenty of cover and extra nest boxes.

Below 20° is considered cold to tree ducks. They are all tropical. Where most other species are most adapt to extreme cold. Most actually love it.
Hope that helped some

thank you so much!

i am planning on 1 pair of white mandarins,1 pair of reg mandarins,2 pairs of ringed tail,2 pairs of fulvous whistling duck and 2 pairs of another teal. don't know which one yet. i like the facalated (s?)hottentot and layson. i also like the bakial but i have heard they don't breed well in community pens.

am i right in thinking i have to get 2 pairs of each so i can sell unrelated pairs?

thanks again
Eta: how big should the pond be for this number of ducks?

Last edited:
thank you so much!

i am planning on 1 pair of white mandarins,1 pair of reg mandarins,2 pairs of ringed tail,2 pairs of fulvous whistling duck and 2 pairs of another teal. don't know which one yet. i like the facalated (s?)hottentot and layson. i also like the bakial but i have heard they don't breed well in community pens.

am i right in thinking i have to get 2 pairs of each so i can sell unrelated pairs?

thanks again

Eta: how big should the pond be for this number of ducks?
i recommend the brazilian teal they complement most areas they live in with their beautiful splash of blue

thank you i will look into them,

They are hard to find and will be a little pricey. Blue winged in my opinion are very pretty just don't keep them with the cinnamon the females are VERY hard to distinguish. I couldn't tell them apart at all even after a friend of mine pointed all the different characteristics

Last edited:
I would say if you have a pair of unrelated bird you only need one. I think my widgeons are brother and sister but I'm not worried I'll prob be buying another pair next year.

Back
Top Bottom