The Moonshiner's Bootleg Incubator Reviews And Discussions

Pics
I live with a software engineer, so it's kind of hard to do some things low-tech. Though today, we put up a pen for the call ducks, and that was pretty low-tech. Hardware cloth, 2x4 welded wire, zip-ties, t-posts, etc.
But beforehand did you draft it all out on the computer? 🤨

@KsKingBee has Brinsea cabinets and I think he's pretty happy with them.
Pea eggs are much harder to hatch than other fowl, the humidity is crucial. The humidity pump is the best feature but of course, holding the temps to within 0.2* is major for a modern incubator. The alarms tone is not within my hearing range so I don't use it or the cooling cycle. I avoid the contamination of the incubators by hatching in separate hatchers that are vacuumed after every hatch and sterilized after every season.
IMG_8112.JPG

Pea eggs are much harder to hatch than other fowl, the humidity is crucial. The humidity pump is the best feature but of course, holding the temps to within 0.2* is major for a modern incubator. The alarms tone is not within my hearing range so I don't use it or the cooling cycle. I avoid the contamination of the incubators by hatching in separate hatchers that are vacuumed after every hatch and sterilized after every season. View attachment 3555060
This is about as sweet of a set up as one could have.
Since you don't use the hatching sections how many eggs do each of those hold?
What's the story on the old one on the end?

This is about as sweet of a set up as one could have.
Since you don't use the hatching sections how many eggs do each of those hold?
What's the story on the old one on the end?
Thank you. Each of the Brinsea 380 holds 198 pea eggs, 66 per rack. I typically set one inc per week with one extra for overflow. We also use game chickens for starting the special project and rare varieties. You can not beat a broody hen.

The redwood is a Leahy 416 that I use for a hatcher only. It has been updated with digital controls but does not regulate the humidity. In general, redwoods are much superior to modern incubators as they hold heat and humidity better.

The new 66 large egg trays from GQF are great, they fit without having to cut them down unlike the flimsy green 36 egg trays. They are so much stronger and ridged and you don't have to get all the way down on your hands and knees to reach way back to fish out the back tray on the bottom rack.

My favorite update is the hatching cages I make. We are hatching different varieties out of 30+ breeding pens and need to keep the chicks separated as many look alike as chicks. Using these cages is one more reason to use an extra 380 as a hatcher. I have four cages that give me up to 32 compartments in one hatcher.
IMG_8167.JPG
IMG_8239.JPG
IMG_8237.JPG
IMG_8279.JPG
IMG_8280.JPG
IMG_8281.JPG

I just heard my alarm go off on my NR today, I forgot to unplug it during the 20 minute cooling period. I've had it go off a few other times before but I never looked at what temp it goes off at, anyway it was 88.5 on the readout when it started going off.

Farm Innovators 4250

Pros

• Holds lots of eggs
Cons
  • Dents easily
  • Huge temperature differences across the incubator

The sensors were placed together to calibrate them against each other. Xiaomi sensors are numbered Xiaomi 1-4 from left to right.
cropped_1_DSCN1778 (Large).jpg

2019-06-27 09_30_55-Photos.png

Screenshot_2019-06-26-14-55-11.png
I have always noticed that turners seem to make it hotter in that area, it's nice to see additional proof of that.

Sorta wishing this thread was around a few months ago when hubs purchased me my first ever incubator, Brinsea Ovation 28 EX lol.

Although, I’m about half way through my first time using it and the temp and humidity have been spot on the whole time. Hopefully this continues and I don’t start regretting this!

I've never had any of the issues others here have mentioned having with their Brinseas with my Ovation 28 eco, for the record. Mine always heats up fast, keeps a steady temperature, and my eggs develop perfectly in it. 🙂 The only real issue I've had with it is that it's a little finicky about humidity, but after running a couple batches in it I got a feel for how to keep humidity just right, too, and now I put eggs in there and don't even have to think about them until hatch time.

Editing, I've never had any of those problems with the Octagon, either, just seemed like the Ovation was more relevant to talk about here.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom