The Moonshiner's Leghorns

If all goes well, I am going to try to work on a line of red leghorns, using a red leghorn male over brown leghorn females, then backcross the F1 females back to red leghorn. And so on until the line consistently produces red offspring. It's just a project I am going to piddle with. My husband loves leghorns and wanted the Reds but murray mcmurray sold out of pullets fast.

@The Moonshiner Would you happen to have any information on the Cuckoos compared to other varieties you’d be willing to share? I’m a fan of a barred bird like no other and my wife is a leghorn lover, hadn’t thought much of them until I saw yours.
I don't know anybody else that has them, at least in the states. Mine have always been pretty typical leghorns.
Mine could probably use a bit more size and definitely larger combs. Idk if I've had a female with one large enough to really flop.
I let mine get pretty low. Low enough I don't even have a double factor barred male ATM.
They're the boys favorites now so I should be hatching quite a few cuckoo and blue cuckoo this year.

If all goes well, I am going to try to work on a line of red leghorns, using a red leghorn male over brown leghorn females, then backcross the F1 females back to red leghorn. And so on until the line consistently produces red offspring. It's just a project I am going to piddle with. My husband loves leghorns and wanted the Reds but murray mcmurray sold out of pullets fast.
Gotta do what you gotta do. What did you do order 25 males from McMurray?
It'll be more work but honestly in the long run I think you'll be better off. I had Reds from them and I wasn't impressed. I had a serious failure to thrive issue. And the ones that did survive seemed undersized I never even laid that great.
I crossed a few in with my Buffs. I don't have any Reds right now but I still have a couple Buffs with their genes.
Gotta get my buff numbers up soon so after I do I might go back to working on Reds again.

I don't know anybody else that has them, at least in the states. Mine have always been pretty typical leghorns.
Mine could probably use a bit more size and definitely larger combs. Idk if I've had a female with one large enough to really flop.
I let mine get pretty low. Low enough I don't even have a double factor barred male ATM.
They're the boys favorites now so I should be hatching quite a few cuckoo and blue cuckoo this year.
I’ll have to do some digging on getting a hatch of them later on down the road. The California Grey's (Leghorn X Barred Rock old stock) I just got to start with might end up pushing me to get some. Lol. The boys have good taste, Barred Birds just do it better. 👍

I’ll have to do some digging on getting a hatch of them later on down the road. The California Grey's (Leghorn X Barred Rock old stock) I just got to start with might end up pushing me to get some. Lol. The boys have good taste, Barred Birds just do it better. 👍
Happy to share you some cuckoo eggs if you are not far from me..... :lau
20240319_110438.jpg 20240307_165919.jpg

Back
Top Bottom