The Moonshiner's Leghorns

Wow no notifications and this place has blown up.
Back to this year so far.
I decided last minute to join the Easter HAL. I set like 59 eggs in two of the hovabators. 90% were pullet eggs. Small ones. The rest were from a couple trios that I just put the rooster in so I wasn't expecting much of a hatch and was correct.
I hatched 10 chicks and lost one.
After that I set 82 eggs in the Pepsi incubator. Within a few days the heating element burned up. Repeat repeat repeat. I went through all the elements I had and then some. All failed within days and I trashed about 250 eggs.
Bought a new and different heating element. Tested it for two days and set another 82 eggs. They're on day 6 and will set 82 more today.
That's the plan. Set 82 eggs every 6 or 7 days.

Oh did I say 82? Maybe I meant 8 or 2.
Is that better?
Season 7 Nbc GIF by The Office

View attachment 2614497
A comment/question/ observation about color and genetics... I have a hen that I received from an acquaintance who has a few leghorns in his yard... she's a product of a White Leghorn × Brown wild type Gamecock cross..her colors are almost identical as this rooster's are:
white with some splash with some light brown bleeding here and there. When I came to pick her up she was in a pen with her chicks... half of them were blue; the other half where light yellow,tan with a bit of darkening in the wing feathers too small to tell anyting.
I passed by his property yesterday to take a look at the chicks... the blue ones are staying blue with some darkening on their wing and tail feathers; the other half is white with light brown feathers and splashes of grey.
The sire of these chicks is a Brown Leghorn.
I should have taken pictures of those chicks I will go by another day and take some...the female, I will take a picture of her today to describe what I'm seeing.
But from what I see at face value,she seems to be controlling so far-on this one hatch-some of the color genetics on the chicks. He's also telling me that this hen's brother,a clutch mate, is exhibiting the same color as the white tan and blue chicks in rooster form. I have to see if I can get a picture of him as well.
I always thought that white was not that dominant and gave way to darker colors. I guess I have to do more reading.
Note: This pic is from the net not from the birds I'm describing,I'm using it for reference.
20210413_193525.jpg
20210413_193559.jpg
20210413_193616.jpg

Her back...
And yes clipped wings they have open enclosures for now
So in theory this bird is 75% Leghorn and 25% Game...and what she produces thus far when bred to a Brown Leghorn is Blue and the same as her light brown but with more blue than white.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom