The Moonshiner's Leghorns

Yeah I read about Anconas and Leghorns being from the same origins.
I have enough Red Leghorn pullets to start my side project of Red Anconas,but now I'm torn because I would like to start a Red Mottled Leghorn project.Since they both have almost the same origins should I just call it my Red Mottled Leghorn project and shelve the Ancona one?
Or should I find a known Black Mottled Leghorn rooster and go from there?
I guess first you'll have to decide what is a mottled leghorn?
Is an Ancona the same thing? Is there no such thing?
What about exchequer? Can you ever get a mottled leghorn?
I've heard mottled talk all day here and idk what to really say.
I do side with chooks mottled haven't been my favorite patterns. I side with you. I love all patterns to a degree if they're on leghorns.
I've worked with mottled for years now. It's fascinating and easily the most frustrating for such a simple gene.
Or is it really a simple gene? Or is it even a gene or are there multiple mottled genes?
It does change with age like nothing else. It can be clean and neat or messy. I like both.
I've worked with poor examples of exchequer until they made me nuts. I've crossed them and discovered they are strange. I researched and talked to experts. It's my conclusion no one I've spoken with understand them. Several different opinions.
I've also produced mottling unexpectedly on a bird and continued with that gene. It has been like the normal mottling gene like the Ancona.
Next year I'll be into a third. It'll be mottling pulled from 55s.
The last year or so I've focused on barring but next year I plan to dive into the mottling and run with it just to see how things play out.

What do you think of this guy? Not mine.

1627651525191.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom