The Moonshiner's Leghorns

What is your hatch percentage approx from viable eggs?
I have no idea.
Not as good as yours. I'd guess around 80% ?
I really have no idea but what I do know is it could or should be higher but honestly I'm OK with it.
If I hatched upper 90s I'd reach my limit quicker and have to shut down incubating sooner.
I sure wouldn't want to do that. I'm about to scale way down on what I try to hatch since I'll quickly be over 1,000 for the year.

I have no idea.
Not as good as yours. I'd guess around 80% ?
I really have no idea but what I do know is it could or should be higher but honestly I'm OK with it.
If I hatched upper 90s I'd reach my limit quicker and have to shut down incubating sooner.
I sure wouldn't want to do that. I'm about to scale way down on what I try to hatch since I'll quickly be over 1,000 for the year.
So I'm guessing you set roughly 56 eggs each week?? That's what those turners hold right?
And you got 43 hatch so far this week??
Would you get 6 or 8 clears?

Given some eggs that are not fertile, some that do not develop, and a few that hatch weak chicks, a good hatch for me is 70%.

I have a GQF 1202 incubator that holds 6 trays or roughly 300 eggs. I try to put in 100 eggs per week usually from March to May. That gives me roughly 1000 chicks to select for desired traits.
Are all those for your blue egg wyandottes or do you have other projects?

Turners hold 41 eggs so I can set 82 eggs every set.
I usually set 70 to 82 eggs. Of those when candled I can throw out 20 or 30 that are clear or blood rings.
IDk. I throw out more when I candle then I do at end of hatch for sure.
Uh huh got it now.

So from my batch of 54 I set 10 days ago I had 6 clears.... going by previous hatch rates I would expect to get about 40 - 45 chicks hatch.
We'll see what happens this time.
Counting your chickens before they hatch?

Back
Top Bottom