The Moonshiner's Leghorns

I bred a high protein corn a few years ago that I love to feed to my chickens when I have it. I put 5 gallons of corn in a bucket and fill it with water. Two days later I pour it out for the chickens. The chickens gobble it up like candy. This corn is high enough protein that free range chickens increase egg production about 10% as compared to 22% commercial chicken feed. The reason is that my corn has much more natural methionine than any commercially available hybrid corn.
Would you ship some kernels?

View attachment 2843661
I wasn't getting notifications!
View attachment 2843663

I love this gif.

View attachment 2843665

View attachment 2843666

return of the king GIF

Hoping that actively commenting means I'll get notifications again. If not, I'll join arms with you. This is ridiculous.

View attachment 2843675 Perhaps they are friends?

Me waiting for someone's response...

Murder She Wrote Reaction GIF

Barack Obama Applause GIF by Obama

It was everything I'd hoped it would be.

Have you thought about prowling the Facebook and the Craigslist for people getting rid of the Little Giant egg turners? I keep some on baker's racks in the laundry room and that's what my eggs stay in. They get automatically turned while they are stored.
I watch CL for anything chicken. They've never had any here. A couple times they've had incubators with turners but not at a decent price.
I've gotten a couple from the chicken auction. I've done that before but soon after one in the incubator gave out so I had to use it for that. I have one extra right now.

I watch CL for anything chicken. They've never had any here. A couple times they've had incubators with turners but not at a decent price.
I've gotten a couple from the chicken auction. I've done that before but soon after one in the incubator gave out so I had to use it for that. I have one extra right now.
I find them fairly often. Have you tried Facebook Marketplace? Do y'all have any sort of Poultry Trades Day events? I usually see people there selling old supplies too. You might have some luck that way. Or maybe just once a month order one on Amazon until you have the right amount.

I find them fairly often. Have you tried Facebook Marketplace? Do y'all have any sort of Poultry Trades Day events? I usually see people there selling old supplies too. You might have some luck that way. Or maybe just once a month order one on Amazon until you have the right amount.
You seriously think he's on FB?

Would you ship some kernels?

https://www.sandhillpreservation.com/corn has it listed as "Chicken". If you try it, keep in mind that it won't produce like a hybrid corn, but the corn it makes will have significantly more protein. Also, it works pretty well to make a hybrid with most other open pollinated field corn such as Glenn's Drought Tolerant White. The hybrid should show about 25% more methionine than commercial hybrids.

You might also look at Wapsi Valley Dent corn which per online records is relatively high protein.

Last edited:
Ya I don't do Facebook. We really don't have any swaps except maybe TSC and I don't support them.
We used to have one every Saturday at one place or another but IDK what happened they all said they weren't allowed to do them any more and that was at like 4 different locations. IDK state got involved or something.
I have a rewards card at a local TSC like place. They have a deal where you can use your receipts to do a survey and then you get $10 off a $50 purchase. They also happen to have you list yours and family members birthdays. That month you can also get $10 a $30 purchase. They now started letting you use your pets birthdays too. Pets include dogs cats rabbits horses pigs goats sheep cows etc and even chickens.
I think I can cover a birthday every month so with both I can spend $50 and get $20 off once a month.
This month was my birthday I almost got a turner but ended up getting a bunch of bags of pine shavings instead. I was thinking maybe do every other month or something until I get 5 or 6 more.
I now have 7 Styrofoam incubators not in use that don't have turners. :lau

He'll need to so he can advertise when he's selling eggs and chicks next spring.
Was that next spring?
Someone a few years ago had a Facebook page for their farm and advertised their rabbits on it.
They told me it was the way to go for selling animals and it would soon be the only way to get any buyers.
Of course I knew NOTHING about Facebook and they were "experts".
They told me how easy it was and quickly set me one up for the mini pigs and was gonna help until I got the hang of it. The next day I got an email saying it was deleted because it wasn't a personal page or some sh!t.
Something like you couldn't have a free business type page. IDK I've seen others that do and said ya it's free.
But anyways that's the extent of my Facebook experience and I've done fine without one.

He might if it meant he could get chicken stuff. He'll need to so he can advertise when he's selling eggs and chicks next spring in all the rare chicken groups.

View attachment 2844039
Mom! Dad! He said a bad word!
Um... You're going to be our networking guy. ☺

Back
Top Bottom