The Moonshiner's Leghorns

still confused as all heck about chicken genetics šŸ„“
It doesn't get any easier.
therethere.gif

It doesn't get any easier. View attachment 3123585
ā€˜Tis not true! Once you learn the basics, you find out everything is either autosomal, incompletely dominant, or co-dominant. And everything is either sexlinked or not. So whatever the gene it has to fit into those categories and itā€™s easy to add more to your repertoire.
That said, I find turkeys difficult because there are so many colors I canā€™t identify. I canā€™t ā€œseeā€ the genes at work because there is little documentation of what each color looks like.

ā€˜Tis not true! Once you learn the basics, you find out everything is either autosomal, incompletely dominant, or co-dominant. And everything is either sexlinked or not. So whatever the gene it has to fit into those categories and itā€™s easy to add more to your repertoire.
That said, I find turkeys difficult because there are so many colors I canā€™t identify. I canā€™t ā€œseeā€ the genes at work because there is little documentation of what each color looks like.
Me and Mac have broken brains. šŸ˜­

math-lady.gif

Pg 40

@Kiki changes her name a lot
is @The Moonshiner 's bad phone lens still to blame?

still confused as all heck about chicken genetics šŸ„“
:lau back in the day (up until this last year) I did use the cheapest phones money could buy. I believe they had the little bird inside that chipped out what he saw on a piece of granite.
I did have a phone for the longest time that had a scratched lens. I tried to take pics with the subject on the good side and then crop but ya if you look back you'll see pics with one side blurry AF.
I have since upgraded to the second cheapest phone known to man. At least it's not a LG right Overo?

Pg 50

Oh lawdy lawdy

Part of the reason I'm having so much trouble understanding the genetics is because I am lacking the basic fundamentals. I can't interpret the explanations when I don't even know the meaning of the words. šŸ˜… I feel like an 8th grader thrown into 12th grader calculus.

Ok, so back to basics.

Question #1

I've got the rooster duckwing thing down. Dark stripe across the wing. But how does that translate to hens? I'm looking at pic after pic of duckwing hens (so Google tells me) and I just can't pick out anything that looks unique on the wings. What am I missing??

Pg 50

Oh lawdy lawdy

Part of the reason I'm having so much trouble understanding the genetics is because I am lacking the basic fundamentals. I can't interpret the explanations when I don't even know the meaning of the words. šŸ˜… I feel like an 8th grader thrown into 12th grader calculus.

Ok, so back to basics.

Question #1

I've got the rooster duckwing thing down. Dark stripe across the wing. But how does that translate to hens? I'm looking at pic after pic of duckwing hens (so Google tells me) and I just can't pick out anything that looks unique on the wings. What am I missing??
Thatā€™s because thereā€™s nothing special about their wings. Duckwing hens are identified by their salmon breasts and brown bodies. No other color base has those two together.
Partridge males really have the same color as duckwing though, except mayyybe a little more black so theyā€™re really hard to tell. And wheatens are just a little lighter. The hens are much easier to identify.

Back
Top Bottom