THE MOTHER'S DAY HATCH-A-LONG!!!! The last day to join in and set eggs with us is April 28th.

Also Im doing a dry hatch so adding all this water just feels like a bad thing. Can the eggs still absorb alot of this water at this point at which when the chicks internally pip they will be met with the flood of water? I always get like this come day 18....
barnie.gif

I think I have a black skin showgirl! *dies* Okay... maybe greyish not quite black but my others are PINK... and this one is not half bad for a 1st gen I think! :-D LOOKIE!

5 toes! (yes, also needs work...)

Comparing her neck with another that hatched today...

Hehe, okay I had to share because I was so SHOCKED when this one hatched (I even waited a few hours before posting this to make sure her color didn't change and I looked dumb, lol!).

YAY!
wee.gif
I would have never expected that... I read not to expect 5 toes or black skin until 3 generations in so yeah... not perfect by any means but I'm so excited!
yesss.gif
She's my first one without a pink neck/feet and 5 toes (the other 5 I've hatched so far had 4 toes).

I also had another silkie hatch :)

So two more still pipped (blood in membrane, not ready)... the rest are hopefully just sleeping in... *fingers crossed*

Also Im doing a dry hatch so adding all this water just feels like a bad thing. Can the eggs still absorb alot of this water at this point at which when the chicks internally pip they will be met with the flood of water? I always get like this come day 18....
barnie.gif
THe purpose of the dry hatch is to keep moisture levels low enough to dry the egg to correct levels, about 11-13% wt loss, so the chick is not bloated with water and can turn and twist to pip and zip. The increased moisture at lockdown is to keep the membranes moist and pliable during the zipping phase. If the pip hole lets in dry air the membranes can dry to the chick and its glued in place not able to zip. TWO different purposes between the incubating phase and the hatching phase. Now do you feel better?
hugs.gif

So you just have the 1 egg? If this one makes it out you might want to go get it a buddy at the feed store.... They need a friend and if it is an only chick is will wine and cry all the time .... and you will have to give it tons of attention!!! Good luck with the hatch.... any progress???

Well, I set three eggs and on what I think was day 17, I candled all of them and they were all still good. The first chick pipped between 12-4 last night and hatched at 7:10. No one else has pipped. It has been screaming, yelling and trying to get someone to wake up in the other eggs since it hatched so I've emailed a couple of people on the craigslist to see if they have any chicks that hatched today. Either way, I don't think I'll be able to get the friend tonight and this little chick may cry all night! lol--who knew after 3 weeks of just lying there while I imagined they moved or peeped that once one hatched it would not stop banging around inside the incubator and peeping. She (positive thinking) is really so so cute.

THe purpose of the dry hatch is to keep moisture levels low enough to dry the egg to correct levels, about 11-13% wt loss, so the chick is not bloated with water and can turn and twist to pip and zip. The increased moisture at lockdown is to keep the membranes moist and pliable during the zipping phase. If the pip hole lets in dry air the membranes can dry to the chick and its glued in place not able to zip. TWO different purposes between the incubating phase and the hatching phase. Now do you feel better?
hugs.gif

X's 2...Need the humidity up...If you are worried about the 65%, go with the upper 50's with the hydrom. you have showing it up in the 50's. Better than the 40's!

Air sac question.... please please.... We think we may have at least two movers (and shakers!) in our wee batch of barnyard chickies and after the baking we (my darling sweet kind hubby) gave them last weekend that's a miracle.

Sooooo, the question: One of them has about a day 7 air sac and we're on day 13. Suggestions? Humidity is very very very low.... we're doing the dry hatch thing and not worrying about it on purpose and so far so good, except for the air sac. Hmmmmm. Have both vents out, good circulation in the room, and temp is very steady and appropriate. Bator is a dinosaur.... hovabator 1586 I think.... and we're new.

There I've said it all. Now off to a short evening, and will check back when I get home. Will post this on another thread with great advice!!

Thanks everyone.... woo hoo..... movers!
celebrate.gif
Hey Jane did you see that 1 of my eggs that was abandoned overnight hatched??? Yeah miracles all around!!!

Barnyard mix as in local eggs??? I wouldn't worry .... I have hatched a bunch of them using dry hatch and I never paid attention to the aircell .... They popped out like popcorn! well the fertile ones
lau.gif
Just let them be... I know easier said then done as it is SO fascinating what goes on inside that shell!!! What day are you on??? I'm so excited for you!!!! I had to help out a marans that was shrunk wrapped poor thing and now it is on its back chirping up a storm ... I hope it is okay ....

I also gave my broody a bunch of chicks and she is SOOOOOO HAPPY!!!!!

Don't know if you can see them all through the wire .....

Popcorn wondering how she produced a black chick :)

She is such a good mommy!!! I gave her the chicks during the day and she couldn't care less....This one even pecked at her eye and she just pushed her right under her chest ...

Hey Jane did you see that 1 of my eggs that was abandoned overnight hatched??? Yeah miracles all around!!!  

Barnyard mix as in local eggs???  I wouldn't worry .... I have hatched a bunch of them using dry hatch and I never paid attention to the aircell .... They popped out like popcorn! well the fertile ones :lau   Just let them be... I know easier said then done as it is SO fascinating what goes on inside that shell!!!  What day are you on???  I'm so excited for you!!!!  I had to help out a marans that was shrunk wrapped poor thing and now it is on its back chirping up a storm ... I hope it is okay .... 

She is such a good mommy!!!  I gave her the chicks during the day and she couldn't care less....This one even pecked at her eye and she just pushed her right under her chest ...

I love the broody hen. I wish I had one.
:love

Hey Jane did you see that 1 of my eggs that was abandoned overnight hatched??? Yeah miracles all around!!!

Barnyard mix as in local eggs??? I wouldn't worry .... I have hatched a bunch of them using dry hatch and I never paid attention to the aircell .... They popped out like popcorn! well the fertile ones
lau.gif
Just let them be... I know easier said then done as it is SO fascinating what goes on inside that shell!!! What day are you on??? I'm so excited for you!!!! I had to help out a marans that was shrunk wrapped poor thing and now it is on its back chirping up a storm ... I hope it is okay ....

She is such a good mommy!!! I gave her the chicks during the day and she couldn't care less....This one even pecked at her eye and she just pushed her right under her chest ...
Oh my goodness! Love that last picture!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom