THE MOTHER'S DAY HATCH-A-LONG!!!! The last day to join in and set eggs with us is April 28th.

I'm going to join in. I just can't help myself. I just can't tell the hubby right now.
idunno.gif
hide.gif
You're not the only one!!
gig.gif
I keep telling my husband I don't know if they are fertile so I need to set them to see . . . .

Hey ya'll! May I join in too? I'm new to all this and my first hatch failed but I was going to set more eggs this weekend anyway. My bator will be a very broody Cornish hen and I'm hoping I get some babies this go round. Any good advice for this newbie is appreciated!

welcome-byc.gif

Try, try again!! Practice makes perfect. We are happy to share our knowledge to improve your hatches, if you ask. Otherwise, we will just tell you anyways.
gig.gif
I have been hatching since last summer and boy have I learned a bundle; and I see others here who have been hatching much longer than I have.

Are these shipped eggs or fresh?

OK quickly becoming an addict! Hatching out my 1st batch, only 4 made it (out of 24 eggs only 6 were fertile) this weekend. 2nd batch already in the incubators. 3rd batch setting this Fri/Sat for the Mothers Day hatch
love.gif
. Would you say that's the beginning of a true addict?
yippiechickie.gif
I love my electronic incubator, takes all the stress out and leaves more time for the fun. May have to get another one
big_smile.png

Hi MMB53! You're over there where the Sharpsburg Swap is. You should definitely be setting eggs to swap in June. That's what I keep telling myself when I continuously return to the post office to pick up more eggs. Welcome to the hatch a long.
frow.gif

You're not the only one!!
gig.gif
I keep telling my husband I don't know if they are fertile so I need to set them to see . . . .

welcome-byc.gif

Try, try again!! Practice makes perfect. We are happy to share our knowledge to improve your hatches, if you ask. Otherwise, we will just tell you anyways.
gig.gif
I have been hatching since last summer and boy have I learned a bundle; and I see others here who have been hatching much longer than I have.

Are these shipped eggs or fresh?

They are fresh eggs. I wasn't quite prepared for her to start sitting on the eggs (none were hers but belonged to my Golden Comets) when she did but I went with it, I trusted her instincts...she knows better than I do! I kind of just wanted to see at first what would happen. We had a bad storm one night and I think the girls in the house got scared and maybe had some "night fright" and the eggs were maybe jostled around too much. I found one broken the next morning and it was fertile. I'm prepared to help her more now. My dilemma now is do I seperate her or leave her be? I don't have many girls and the coop (aka the Pecker Palace per my sweet hubby) that I have now is very secure against the predators we have around here. I am just very hesitant to move her. Any thoughts?

Quote:
My experience is limited to 2 broodies that successfully hatched too many chicks. From what I have read a broody needs to have a secure zone for herself and the chicks, and since I was not set up to accommodate that I took the chicks and brooded them. THen the broodies went back to being hens. It is unfortunate that the eggs were jostled so badly; but some things are out of our control. It might not happen again. My last broody stayed on her eggs no matter how many hens squeezed in next to her, or on top of her, to give another egg to the cause. I did loose one egg and caused all the others to be covered with egg goo, and followed the directions of a BYCer to wash the eggs and return them to the hen. Didn't happen again.

Separate her if she can be kept very secure from predators; otherwise keep her in the main coop. And have other nest boxes available, if you don't already.

You may have better luck this time. Basic question--do you have a rooster to fertilize the eggs? You didn't mention a rooster . . . .

This is my first attempt. I have five 3 year old orpington hens and borrowed a friends speckled sussex roo about 8 weeks ago so Im ready I think.
I'm going to let her stay in her box to hatch. What should I be doing with the eggs I collect?
I plan on keeping them in a minifridge at about 50degrees on their side. Is that right?
:)

This is my first attempt. I have five 3 year old orpington hens and borrowed a friends speckled sussex roo about 8 weeks ago so Im ready I think.
I'm going to let her stay in her box to hatch. What should I be doing with the eggs I collect?
I plan on keeping them in a minifridge at about 50degrees on their side. Is that right?
smile.png

Mark them X on one side, O on the other, and turn them 3 times a day until you set them with the hen. iusually keep mine in an egg carton and tip one end up then the other end up. SO I mark the ends X and O.
big_smile.png

BO make nice broodies--has one of the 5 gone broody yet??

Yes one of the girls wont leave the nest. I had another broody one but she hemorrhaged and died abut 2 weeks ago. I blame myself for not letting her have the eggs. Now with another one, I'm going to give her the darn eggs! On the 22nd I should have 10 eggs for her, I just hope they're good ones.

Back
Top Bottom