THE MOTHER'S DAY HATCH-A-LONG!!!! The last day to join in and set eggs with us is April 28th.

Thanks, Cynthia12! Her mother was my favorite chicken and we lost her last year. She is the last of the babies from that mommy---even though these are not her eggs I am really excited about this hatching.

Two more weeks to go...!

I candled my eggs today and five of my six eggs are now too dark for my flashlight to even shine through a tiny bit...hoping this means I've got embryos with a nice blood supply system going on. I can see see through the sixth egg, and I saw little toes starting to form! I wish I could have gotten a picture, but my iphone camera does not like being in a dark room. The embryo was wiggling around too! I've never seen one active this early before.

Can it be the 13th already?

This is my broody "Mama" sitting on 9 eggs.She's giving me the "Don't you even dare!" look.
I'm a first timer and I candled them all this morning and saw blobs! Compared to the refrigerator egg they looked very different so I'm hoping there are going to be nine little fuzzy butts her on Mother's Day weekend.
wee.gif

Last edited:
I thought it was too late for broody mamas? Oh well, if so, here is one for fun..or..if it can still be used...
It's almost like she is thinking..get that thing away from me...the camera that is. :)) Or, what is that? Get away! This is Baily, mottled bantam cochin.

Okay here is a picture of my incubator ......

So I have 23 Silkie Eggs and 11 BBS Marans.... All shipped eggs.... I have the other 3 Marans eggs under my broody as well as 1 Silkie .... Do I need a picture of those??? My hen is not cooperating and doesn't want to leave her nest for me to snap a picture!

So I have 34 eggs set in the incubator & 4 Broody Hen..... Turns out Nugget is going broody when I went down to feed the girls this morning she didn't come out and was sitting on an egg.... I gave her some blanks for now to make sure she is really broody!!! If I move eggs from the incubator to Nugget ..... in a few days is that okay per the rules???

Here is Popcorn my determined Broody with battle wounds to show for it!! And yes she did used to have feathers on her neck.....

Oh my goodness, this is the best yet!!!
ya.gif

It's Day 3 for me and I candled all the eggs. It looks like 3 silkies and 1 mille fleur u'ccle/serama mix are developing, the bantam BR is a mystery, and two others look like no-go's.

Woot! Hoping the 4/7 turn out! I'm going to try and not candle until day 7....

I'm so jealous! Everybody has broodies and incubators to hatch in....My incubator's packed for the Cinco de Mayo hatch along, two of my available broodies were eaten by foxes(along with all the eggs I set for this hatch!
somad.gif
)...and now, for this hatch, I only have 8 eggs left incubating in a toaster oven under a table in my room (ghetto I know)...lets hope they hatch!!
fl.gif
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom