THE MOTHER'S DAY HATCH-A-LONG!!!! The last day to join in and set eggs with us is April 28th.

Um--are they they some sort of european kind? I know the araucanas are a lot different over there. Never seen any like that! I have a question about those polish though, I have some roughly the same age, do you know genders on any of them? I would love to know, I have some that have different crestst like yours and do not know which are which.

I have no idea! LOL These are my first polish. I know my blackish one has a much bigger crest than my yellow and its far more aggressive so I think its a roo and the other two are hens...but thats just a guess.

Here are the differences

I have no idea!  LOL  These are my first polish.  I know my blackish one has a much bigger crest than my yellow and its far more aggressive so I think its a roo and the other two are hens...but thats just a guess. 

Here are the differences

Thanks for the pics.:) I have one that is a for sure girl and it is really round and curls under around her chin. Then I have a white one whose crest is exactly like your white(short) , and a black crested looking exactly like your black (long) so I do not know what the heck is going on :)

This is really off topic, but this thread is fairly active and since we are all here for hatching babies... I thought I would ask a question about chickies.

My 3 (nearly 4) week old OEGB chicks are terrified of the dark... or something? Its hot today, in the high 80's. When Its hot I turn off their lamp, they just dont need it for warmth at all when its 85+ in the house. So when I do this, they litterally FREEZE and wont budge! They wont eat, drink poop get up nothing! They just huddle together in a hot pile of chicks. And yes they are hot to the touch when I try to move them.

When they are without the lamp, they remind me of broody hens, how when you nudge them to move they just refuse. They are dead weight. But the very second I switch on the lamp, they are up and chirping happy as ever like nothing happend.

Can anyone tell me why they do this? Does anyone elses chicks do this? Is it a OEGB thing? The silkie chicks dont do it... they dont care one way or another if the light is on or not!

At what point do you think you will open one to look for any sign of an embryo? Or does the tissue degrade and you can't see the bullseye any more?
I opened them today.. which is day 6 for them.. normally I check goose eggs around day 4 (shining a bright light into the air cell with the eggs still in the bator .. so not moving the eggs at all.. just holding a light to them).. then check again around day 10
since several of the other eggs were showing signs of life on day 4.. and none of the Texas ones were it raised a red flag
I'm not sure at what day they do degrade to the point of being completely unable to determine fertility.. I just know that if I had let them sit until day 15 I wouldn't have been able to tell with any certainty if they had been fertile or not since they would have degraded a bit too much and would have been questionable
none of the 6 had ever been fertilized.. so I don't know if the seller only had females and was deliberately selling unfertilized eggs as fertile.. or if their ganders just weren't doing the job

edited to add.. none of the yolks had been damaged and the whites were still in good condition..

Last edited:

So cute!!! Just look at the head dress!!!
love.gif

This is really off topic, but this thread is fairly active and since we are all here for hatching babies... I thought I would ask a question about chickies.

My 3 (nearly 4) week old OEGB chicks are terrified of the dark... or something? Its hot today, in the high 80's. When Its hot I turn off their lamp, they just dont need it for warmth at all when its 85+ in the house. So when I do this, they litterally FREEZE and wont budge! They wont eat, drink poop get up nothing! They just huddle together in a hot pile of chicks. And yes they are hot to the touch when I try to move them.

When they are without the lamp, they remind me of broody hens, how when you nudge them to move they just refuse. They are dead weight. But the very second I switch on the lamp, they are up and chirping happy as ever like nothing happend.

Can anyone tell me why they do this? Does anyone elses chicks do this? Is it a OEGB thing? The silkie chicks dont do it... they dont care one way or another if the light is on or not!
Night light.

My remaining easter egger hen is not broody, but man, she's got the stink eye down. :hmm Snapped this picture while she was laying her egg today LOL.

Tried to candle my eggs again this morning,and now I'm back to not being able to see anything through the shells besides the air cell. *crosses fingers* Hoping this is a good sign!

Back
Top Bottom