THE MOTHER'S DAY HATCH-A-LONG!!!! The last day to join in and set eggs with us is April 28th.

GIve me the details on the shipped eggs, because I'm messing up the shipped chicken and turkey eggs really bad. And I have another order o turkey eggs due this month, so I would like to have a better hatch rate than 0% or 5/28 . Depressing rates. I had promised myself not to hatch muscovies, but DH put the idea in my head!

well.. muscovy eggs are handled differently than chicken or turkey... so you would have to modify things for them
and Incubating Muscovys is a bit different than regular ducks...

they can take from 33-37 days incubation.. so don't give up on them until after day 37

basically the temp would be 99.5 (if I remember right you are using forced air bators)

don't add any water to the bator at first.. so go dry until you check the air cells and weights

do you have a good gram scale?.. if not you;ll need one .. muscovys need to lose around 2.8% of their weight per week.. you can also monitor air cells.. but I find weighing is a bit more accurate.. for shipped eggs you will need to monitor the air cells by holding a bright light to the tops of the eggs during the first two weeks since you won't be able to remove them for weighing... adjust the humidity as needed based on the info you get from the eggs

when you first get the eggs you have to candle them.. take note of any damaged air cells and mark the eggs accordingly.. However for best results assume that all muscovy eggs are damaged.. by marking the ones with loose air cells or detached ones you will know which will need to be handled carefully as they progress through incubation.. also mark them with the usual X and O even though they will be autoturned.. I'll explain why in a bit

I number each of the eggs and also write the weight on the egg as well... makes things easier for when you do weigh them again

MOST of the guides you'll find cite 80+% humidity for incubation for muscovys.. if you follow that you will have dead in shell ducklings at hatch.. Originally it was supposed to be around 80 - 84 º WET BULB.. but when people started passing around the info they forgot that it was a wet bulb measure and said it was % instead.. (which is one reason why so many muscovy hatches fail).. so forget everything you have ready about muscovys and humidity since 99% of it is wrong

try to go with LOW humidity during incubation (only increasing it if the air cells start to grow too large too quickly or if the weight loss is too rapid)
all shipped eggs should be incubated for the first 36 to 48 hours standing upright (pointy end down) and NOT TURNED for those first 36 to 48 hours
after the first 48 hours has passed you can turn on the autoturner... they still need to be upright and autoturned for best results...
after day 15 you will still leave them in the autoturner.. but you can lay them GENTLY on their sides or tilt them at a 45º angle... remember that the tissue inside will still be delicate.. and if handled wrong you can still kill the embryo.. once on their sides or tilted to the side they should be turned once a day by hand.. so if the X is on the side facing up.. turn them once a day so that the opposite side is facing up and so on

You can mist and cool them once a day after day 10 (cooling for 10 to 15 minutes a day) if the air cells are in good shape.. however misting them will also cause more evaporation from the eggs.. so if the air cells (or weight) is too great hold off on the misting.. the misting is more important during the last two weeks.. (I'm experimenting with an additive to be added to the water .. it should increase hatch rates even more for most people and also increase the health and hardiness of the ducklings after hatch)

for temps.. 99.5 degrees until the first internal pip.. then I drop the temp down to 98 to 98.5 and increase humidity to 60% or better.. also after the eggs are internally pipped if they are not already laying on their sides.. they should be.. if you have a separate hatcher without a fan then that's even better

for shipped chicken and turkey eggs you can still use some of the methods I have listed.. I haven't tried them on chickens or turkeys yet.. but I plan to with the next batch of chicken eggs that I order since it appears that the thicker albumen is getting damaged in too many of the shipped chicken eggs that I have received.. I got in 13 BLRW eggs a few weeks back that looked really good when I candled them.. however very few have made it to lockdown.. considering how well my shipped muscovy eggs have been doing I think I will try experimenting with the chicken eggs next.. normally I get at least a 50% hatch rate on shipped chicken eggs.. this batch is going to be a bit lower.

lol.. i really need to make my muscovy page.. it's easier than typing everything out each time (and I don't even have the info here for home grown muscovy eggs)!

Last edited:
I didn't turn my shipped eggs for almost a week last time and had wayyyyy better hatch rates for those that didn't turn versus those that did...yeah I'm doing that for shipped eggs from now on.

Quote: Thank you for writing this out. I was curious to see how this method would compare to how I handled the shipped turkey and chicken eggs.

I have 2 dozen shipped chicken eggs in now. Set April 27. I let them sit in a carton upright for 7 days, then tilted the egg carton to turn the eggs. Of course I can't see into them as they are OE and cuckoo maran. Doomed to fail as I forgot they are marans and need a special sanding job to make them look like a striped watermelon. Like I said, doomed to fail.

I need to lay down and sleep for a while, a stressful day as DS injured his knee at soccer practice tonight. Need an orthopedist to look at it.

I didn't turn my shipped eggs for almost a week last time and had wayyyyy better hatch rates for those that didn't turn versus those that did...yeah I'm doing that for shipped eggs from now on.

it seems that even if the eggs look good when candled on the day they are set that the thicker albumen does get damaged to an extent... I know many people say to let them sit at room temp for several days.. however i never found that method to make any difference at all...

but letting them start incubating without being turned for a couple of days does allow the cells to start dividing and it also seems to help repair some of the damage that was done during shipping. care has to be taken though that they are not shaken .. turned too quickly or jarring the eggs can tear that tissue since it's extremely delicate and any rough handling too soon can cause early embryo death or blood rings

I saw someone mention to clean the incubator immediately...well last hatch my husband moved my bators downstairs because we had company.  I ASSUMED he must have cleaned them out.  Now why would I assume that considering its impossible for him to take initiative on anything...I don't know.  So...fast forward 2 weeks.  There is the most nasty smell in the basement.  I sniff it out and its my incubators.  Filled with water from the hatch and yolk from 2 eggs that pierced thru the yolk and drowned but dripped into the water plus regular hatch mess.  Dear Lord, there was nothing in this world that smelled as bad.  It smelled like death when I opened them.  As I was taking them outside my daughter ran right into me and I spilled some of the liquid on her.  So gagging, I rush her to the bathroom where I immediately scrubbed her repeatedly til she was almost in tears.  Then I soaked, soaped, bleached, peroxided, soaked, bleached, alcoholed, soaked, soaped, bleached and lysoled it.  Then set it in the sun to dry where my chickens promptly ate over half of the LG bottom and a big chunk of the hovabator.  Lesson learned.  Clean the bators immediately after hatching and don't trust DH to be self motivated.  

Aww man, does that stink. :sick

Here's my entry for kids and chicks pic, this is my son Tucker who is 22 months old. He LOVES the chicks, turkey poults, and ducklings!!! Here he is holding a blue slate/royal palm poult we hatched a few days ago.

I have a different problem...

when I am in a store I tend to look at things and wonder.. "hmm.. I wonder if i could turn that into a brooder / feeder / incubator?"
I have this same problem! Its really bad, I feel so dumb to be CONSTANTLY thinking about chickens/chicks or eggs!
lau.gif

I have 14 turkey eggs. I really can't tell much about them. I have tried to candle them but I don't see really anything.. yet. I thought I saw a blob or something. I hope to get 100% hatch. I'm waiting on my lock down now and then in about 10 days I will have another lock down. The poults are due May 31. I will have babies like crazy running around.

I put 18 eggs into lockdown last night in the hatcher and put three additional eggs under a broody. The broody is a young chantecler that is low in the pecking order and "hiding" in a seldom used nesting box. She's a very nice girl, even when broody!

Last Saturday was the Oregon Chicken Swap and I was given a dozen eggs, so I put those in the incubator, along with six BLRW that were shipped to me.

Chicken math is alive and well! LOL

Last edited:
So exciting, my first incubator is entering lock down today! I've candled and so far all my silkie, cochin and polish eggs look good. I can not see those silly Buckeyes though, very dark. Perhaps my DH will allow me to buy a better flashlight for candling if I promise to never do two incubators at a time again? :)

Two more pictures of my munchkins with their chickens. They love them as much as I do! :)

Back
Top Bottom