THE MOTHER'S DAY HATCH-A-LONG!!!! The last day to join in and set eggs with us is April 28th.

I ignore "lockdown".. lol.. been doing this so long when I first saw the term I started laughing since i never heard of such a thing.. but after having manufactured bators instead of home made ones I can see why there is a need for it.. some bators will not get the humidity back up fast enough and some have fans that blow directly onto the eggs causing problems when the chicks start to dry out too quickly during pipping and zipping
we always called it "hatch" and would routinely check pips.. see how eggs were progressing when doing a staggered hatch.. continue to turn eggs that needed it (staggered hatches) .. check on hatching chicks to see if they needed a bit more humidity and so on..
I was candling eggs this morning that are in "lockdown" to see how many had made internal pips.. and also pulled two hatched chicks out of the bator.. have had it opened two more times turning other eggs and to lower the humidity a bit for the ones still incubating (staggered hatches)

ok.. so what I do isn't "recommended" but you have to realize that the "rules of lockdown" are for newbies who haven't been incubating for a while (or ever) and who don't know what to do when they do check on their eggs to keep problems from arising

so as far as I am concerned.. if you know what you are doing.. the "rules of lockdown" don't apply.. but the rules are a good safety precaution for people who are new to hatching

Well said I agree it really depends on your bator. My styro bator needed to be closed most of the time to keep the humidity but in my old redwood bator it gets the humidity back up in less than 5 min. I have pips today if they hatch I will grab the chicks out.

I think I see one TINY little whole in just 1 egg. I dont think... I mean its really there. Hard to believe it when im so worried none will make it out. :(

My humidity is 55, should I turn it up more?

Well, my first chick hatched. :D Day 19 baby...*crosses fingers* please be a girl! I caught her hatching on my phone's camera, but i can't get the video embed to work right. bah!

So i'll just leave you all with this picture instead. This baby runs over to where she can see me the best whenever I go and talk to her...

Quote: THe very darks are difficult to see into even just to see the aircell. I'm thinking weighing is better for the black copper marans. THe one I mentioned above are cuckoo and therefore lighter and EASIER to view.

My parents made me go to Bunko at the church.
Shoot me. They said I can't stay home with my chickens all the time.
hmm.png
That's the nice thing about incubating, you can do other things while the eggs are cooking.

Quote: Oh, so glad they arrived in good shape!! THe Am are half Am and half EE as I like the better size of the EE yet wanted to reinforce the blue coloring. Rooster is a blue AMeracauna.

I have 2 EE/brahma, 1 brahma, and 1 barred plymouth rock/ brahma. These were from my own eggs. I have one more from my own and then there are several that I purchased from ebay. they are a variety of eggs. We will see what I get.

OK EVERYONE!!! NOW THAT THE CHICKS ARE HATCHING OUT, IT'S TIME FOR THE CUTE CHICK PIC CONTEST !!! YOU MAY POST UP TO 3 PICS OF YOUR CHICKS. BUT THEY MUST BE FROM THIS HATCH-A-LONG!!! THE PRIZE IS 6 plus 1st generation Olive Eggers from mstricer !!!

ALSO YOU HAVE UNTIL SUNDAY NIGHT AT 11:59PM TO POST YOUR MOTHER'S AND KIDS STORY!!

Back
Top Bottom