THE MOTHER'S DAY HATCH-A-LONG!!!! The last day to join in and set eggs with us is April 28th.

I have two hatched! I finally got to see a chick hatch at 4:45 am.
Aww, first time? They are cute! Is that black digital read out saying the humidity is in the 90's. My eyeballs can't see all that great. If so, do you have your plugs out of the top of the bator. Maybe those chicks just hiked it up for a bit.
Oh, and you can lower the heat on them too. Around 97/98 is good. They need some oxygen in there. :)

Last edited:
The last day to set was well after the due date for hatching exactly on mothers day.... so us straglers are at the end of our hatch right now.... Not sure when cutest chick pix contest is over as people are still hatching....

Well then! Hatch on!! Pretty fun to see all the excited folks on here. I am now waiting for more to hatch..oh dear. What can I say> I need intervention. Do we dare ask if there is such a thing on BYC? I can hear it now..heck no! Go for it! And I do.
big_smile.png

Aww, first time? They are cute! Is that black digital read out saying the humidity is in the 90's. My eyeballs can't see all that great. If so, do you have your plugs out of the top of the bator. Maybe those chicks just hiked it up for a bit.
Oh, and you can lower the heat on them too. Around 97/98 is good. They need some oxygen in there. :)
Second time hatching, but last time was in my classroom. So, it's like the first time. The humidity is only 66% or so. Temp is at 98. They are doing great. I have one trying to hatch now.

Second time hatching, but last time was in my classroom. So, it's like the first time. The humidity is only 66% or so. Temp is at 98. They are doing great. I have one trying to hatch now.

thumbsup.gif
Another one?
woot.gif
Will be watching for the photo shoot of all of your babies when done..these are so cute already.

Arielle..you have turkey poults>they are so dang cute! I did three of those once. They were so fun to watch, and to listen to. Cute little noises they make. Their tummies were so full of yolk, and so round, they had a hard time keeping right side up. They would make this sound, and I knew it after a while..they were calling fore hep. Only took them a day to get right side up most of the time. Too cute.

I need advice...I decided to candle my eggs...the ones that were due to hatch yesterday...and well some stayed really warm and some cooled down real fast. Someone said the ones that are cold are the ones that are dead because they don't produce body heat. Well I opened them and none were fertile. No speck of blood or veining, nothing. But does that mean the other warmer ones might be alive? Or should I just give up. Remember, these are the pullet eggs where the roo died a few days after the girls started laying and I'm pretty sure I saw a bulls eye in one of the eggs. so if none of these other ones were even fertile should I just give up on these other ones. They aren't doing anything.
I had read that too about the eggs staying warm BUT now after having picked up a silkie egg from the side of my broody that was not warm and it hatching later that day .... I'm not so sure
celebrate.gif
...... I also had my abandoned over night eggs that were ice cold and 2 out of 4 of those hatched.... It was day 18 when the hen moved nests for the night and I thought surely if they were cold that meant they were dead. Happily I was WRONG..... I have tried the float in warm water to see if the egg moves to determine if they are alive.... so far non of the ones I put in water moved....

Well then! Hatch on!! Pretty fun to see all the excited folks on here. I am now waiting for more to hatch..oh dear. What can I say> I need intervention. Do we dare ask if there is such a thing on BYC? I can hear it now..heck no! Go for it! And I do.
big_smile.png
I think we all need help
lau.gif
The only thing stopping me from joining the fathers day hatch is a business trip at the end of June.... So I guess I'm lucky ... If you call that lucky. Yep and I am building coop #2
hide.gif
Now who do you think needs help!!!!

Mine hatched on 5/16- 5/18...out of 39 eggs, 20 were infertile......so 19 went to lock down..... 18 of those hatched! I have 6 Salmon faverolles, 7 barnevelders, & 5 black copper marans..

Back
Top Bottom