THE MOTHER'S DAY HATCH-A-LONG!!!! The last day to join in and set eggs with us is April 28th.

lol.. I love those big ol feet peeking out from under the fluff!
OOOOOOOOOhhhhhhh MMMMMMMMMyyyyyyyy HHHHHeeeaaavvvennnns. That sweeeet fluffy feathered thing. I wanna scoop (her?) up and love her till she squeeks.

On another note..... drumroll, please....... I've got one egg that I think is moving... are you kidding me?? I'm very super beyond myself excited! BYM, local eggs... the air cell end is standing up on its own and yikes... moving?? I'm not on lockdown yet, but holy smokes!

Quote: The land was important to us too.I could live in a shack if I have land and privacy from neighbors. I bet walking to the auction keeps you busy--loads of interesting things and people and a ready market for all those chicks !

Sometimes we just need to live where we are planted. In my heart I'm still from Maine but the last time at my Mother's I walked outside and in October there was only silence. Complete silence. And a loneliness that surprised me. It was then that I realized how much I had come to like the piece of land we live on and the house that has never been finished. For 20 years I had been yearning to go back to Maine. LOL

Here's my hatch so far. Should I try opening the two eggs left? It's day 23, but last time my babies waited 2 extra days.

I'm so excited to see these babies!!! I was just thinking --I wonder howmany hatched!! You can feel the eggs and see if they are warm almost hot, or cool. THis last hatch I noticed that the eggs that didn't hatch felt almost hot going into the hatcher, and now well past hatch date, they feel cold despite the 99 degrees Don't give up yet though as you said they were late before.

Nice job!

My last chick is out. A silkie from my black roo and one of the white hens. It was actually a replacement for the only clear egg when I candled at day 7, so it hatched right on time, one week after the others. Foolish me, should have put in 2, one week makes a big difference in size. Final tally for my hatch...set 16 eggs I got from the Columbia Co swap, all developed, but only 12 hatched, the last one was totally upside-down in the egg, pipped at the narrow end. It failed to thrive. 4 quit before lockdown so I have 11 live chicks. I also set 3 of my silkies, one hatched, one died in the shell, one was clear, replacement chick hatched. So altogether, I have 12 chicks from 20 eggs set, making 60 % hatch rate. Really cute assortment, wish I had a camera besides my cell phone.

OOOOOOOOOhhhhhhh MMMMMMMMMyyyyyyyy HHHHHeeeaaavvvennnns.  That sweeeet fluffy feathered thing.  I wanna scoop (her?) up and love her till she squeeks. 

On another note..... drumroll, please.......   I've got one egg that I think is moving... are you kidding me?? I'm very super beyond myself excited!  BYM, local eggs... the air cell end is standing up on its own and yikes... moving??  I'm not on lockdown yet, but holy smokes!

Yeah :D when is lockdown??

My last chick is out. A silkie from my black roo and one of the white hens. It was actually a replacement for the only clear egg when I candled at day 7, so it hatched right on time, one week after the others. Foolish me, should have put in 2, one week makes a big difference in size. Final tally for my hatch...set 16 eggs I got from the Columbia Co swap, all developed, but only 12 hatched, the last one was totally upside-down in the egg, pipped at the narrow end. It failed to thrive. 4 quit before lockdown so I have 11 live chicks. I also set 3 of my silkies, one hatched, one died in the shell, one was clear, replacement chick hatched. So altogether, I have 12 chicks from 20 eggs set, making 60 % hatch rate. Really cute assortment, wish I had a camera besides my cell phone.
woot.gif
How exciting! One week difference is just fine. It's the older chicks that can be a problem. I have 2 6- week -olds and they run the 1 week old over in their exhuberance to get to human visitors with treats. Fortunately, there are only 2 with 30 chicks in a large brooder.

Nice job 12 out of 20 !

Quote: I put her in with the week olds last night, they were a bit curious but no pecking. She tried to snuggle under them, but they did not see that as an option. I decided to take her out, and let her get a bit steadier on her feet. Think I will put her in for a bit today, see how they handle it. Side note: just judging by stance, I may have a roo picked out of the others...just by the way he stood so tall when checking out the newbie. Will keep my eye on it and see.

Well from what I thought was going to be a dud hatch!! The chicks proved me wrong! 2 were shrink wrapped helped them out they are doing just fine then the rest all popped out like popcorn. One is still trying to zip so if it hatches that will be 11 chicks so far and I still have like 7 eggs in there not doing anything but they were all moving at lockdown. We will see.

I am just thrilled with the ones I got!

My broody hatched 7 and then hopefully 11 bator chicks 18 total!
wee.gif

(Now to find homes for them all... LOL)

Pics coming soon!

Well from what I thought was going to be a dud hatch!! The chicks proved me wrong! 2 were shrink wrapped helped them out they are doing just fine then the rest all popped out like popcorn. One is still trying to zip so if it hatches that will be 11 chicks so far and I still have like 7 eggs in there not doing anything but they were all moving at lockdown. We will see.

I am just thrilled with the ones I got!

My broody hatched 7 and then hopefully 11 bator chicks 18 total!
wee.gif

(Now to find homes for them all... LOL)

Pics coming soon!
BTW they didnt start hatching really until day 22!
roll.png
Made me sweat for nothing... silly chicks.

Back
Top Bottom