The move to the Barn... nervous ....

SarniaTricia

Songster
8 Years
Jul 18, 2011
Southwestern Ontario Canada
My babies will be 6 weeks old this weekend....
I was hoping to move them to the barn at 6 weeks.
Temp. Day around 70, night as low at 30
Barn is old and likely drafty. I plan on building something similar to a brooder, that opens out into the coop.
Heat lamp - yes
Barn cats - lots.
We have only been here 4 weeks, so the barn cats are still very wild.
They do not bother the big girls, but I worry about the babies. (they look like little robins to me!)
I plan on lots of fencing material and a good secure coop that the cats can't get into.

Any reassurance\advice?
The babies are ready for the move, the brooder isn't big enough any more.

Thanks
Patricia

Sounds like you have all the issues covered to me.
smile.png

Ours are the same age, and we are moving them this weekend as well. Ours are going into a coop, but we have goats in the pasture, and I worry about the goats if they free range. I am going to have them in a run at first, so the goats can get used to them. Our temp is warmer then yours at night, but they have feathered out pretty well, so I think they will be fine. Mine are in the garage, in the brooder, and they have no heat light anymore, and our furnace is off, so there is no heat. Sounds like you have a great plan, and they will be fine.

Sounds good, especially if you're going to have the heat. :thumbsup
Our chicks were never bothered by the cats around here, but it's good you're fencing them in to be on the safe side! Good luck!!

I have somewhat the same question only my chicks are 4 weeks today, 4 that are 3 weeks, adopted. I have the coop all set up for them and its not drafty at all and the heat lamp is all set up and maintaining a temp of 78 degrees, Will they be ok if they are outside in the coop instead of inside our house? They have destroyed their brooder i.e. spilled their water several times and the bottom and side is busted out. Today it was almost 80 and a low of 50. next weeks forcast calls for highs in the 50's and lows in the 40's but if my heat lamp maintains heat they will be fine, wont they?

Last edited:
1sttimechick,
do all your chickies have all their feathers in? and is your coop closed in or an open concept. As in, is it made with chicken wire or will they be in like a coop?
I would think they would be fine, seems warm enough during the day and at night I would just hang the heat lamp up for them and turn it on during the night to help them keep warm for the enclosed coop. If its open still hang the heat lamp and add some hay to the coops floor for them to lay in and keep warm. Even put in a small box on its side so they can go inside it if they feel they need to, in order to help keep warm. Even shaving will work.

Mine are also 4 weeks, they have most of there feathers, I have been putting them in the coop during the day, It's been really hot during the day 75 to 80 degrees. I then move them to the Garage at night, no lamp. They seem fine to me. this is a picture of my coop.

Well.....
I made the move today!

It is old horse stalls converted into a coop...

The Babies are all snug with an old entertainment until converted to a brooder box, with enterence, dirt box and heat lamps...

The other end has food in a gravity feed pipe that I lended from my friends at BYC!

And just some photos of the babies...

Things are going well so far.
Pecking order has been established and the barn cats don't seem to be able to get in.

I will post more tomorrow.

I had to set up another heat lamp tonight.
I set a wood box and filled it with shavings and positioned the red heat lamp right above it.
I figured this would give them a bit more shelter.
I also closed off the window.

Pecking order between the dominants is very active now.

Back
Top Bottom