The mystery killer... (warning: gross details but no picture)

If you never had a loss before and your fence was upgraded you (may)have a weak spot. The only time my dogs have ever got out was during or after a fence upgrade.

Sorry for your loss!

Last edited:
The reason we didn't get small chickens is they're vulnerable and need more protection
I doubt this. Lots of bigger chickens are not flighty and an easy prey.

I have one of the most tiny bantams (Dutch) and when they see a dog when they are free ranging these Dutch fly upon the run (2m) and over a 2,5 meter high hedge. No way the dog is able to catch them.
But I had a few losses too. One time a bird of prey took a bantam mix and a few others disappeared (one bantan RIR and two young pullets). Possibly they have been taken by a big nasty cat. The cats from our neighbours don’t hunt or hurt our chickens.

Bob cats can squeeze thru small openings, drag chickens out of a pen or fence and are known to kill multiple birds at one time .They're also stronger than domestic cats and will drag their prey a safe distance to eat.They usually leave 'scat' at the scene.

I doubt this. Lots of bigger chickens are not flighty and an easy prey.

I have one of the most tiny bantams (Dutch) and when they see a dog when they are free ranging these Dutch fly upon the run (2m) and over a 2,5 meter high hedge. No way the dog is able to catch them
But I had a few losses too. One time a bird of prey took a bantam mix and a few others disappeared (one bantan RIR and two young pullets). Possibly they have been taken by a big nasty cat. The cats from our neighbours don’t hunt or hurt our chickens.
Yes game chickens are flighty and excellent at avoiding predators however we chose leghorns because they're bigger and their chicks aren't as likely to be killed by crows, big snakes, feral cats and aerial predators that can carry them away.

Back
Top Bottom